Finding EE Sway Bar or having a custom bent up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finding EE Sway Bar or having a custom bent up?

Afrojoe

Reaction score
City, State
Ringgold, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
Hey guys, I've recently been looking around on the forum in my spare time and there's an item that'd I'd love to have, but as far as I can see isn't in production anymore. So, do you guys know of any place to find an EE rear sway bar? Is having one bent out of 1.25" or maybe even 1.5" pipe an option? I don't see why bending one wouldn't be as long as it's good quality steel. Couldn't you just make connectors for the stabilizer links and weld it to the custom bar? I haven't seen much on making a bar or where to find any of these mythical EE parts in the current day. I'd just love to minimalize my body roll as I can tell it starts in the rear in my X. (Stock bushings and links in back, poly in front) Also, recommended shocks for Offroad&onroad use? Ride comfort isn't #1 priority, I'm looking more for performance/prerunner qualities. Thanks again guys and if I missed a helpful post just let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Much thanks, swshawaii. I think I'll go with the Hellwig since it's so similar and cheaper. It's sad that EE has stopped production of the 2nd gen parts. Guess business died down after a bit. Thanks again. Edit: At further looking, Summit Racing says the Hellwig is 22mm or just under .9 inches. In that case I feel that'd it'd make more sense to bridge the price gap to the Acdelco for the extra .1. Especially since it'll be a one time purchase.

As much as I like Summit for accurate product descriptions, I believe the 7/8" diameter they list is a misprint. Regardless, the Hellwig is 4140 chromoly steel vs. Addco's heat treated steel. If in doubt, contact Hellwig direct. I bought the Addco years ago only because EE wanted $200 for ground shipping and the Hellwig wasn't available at the time. Don't get me wrong, it was by far the best handling and safety upgrade I've ever done after tires and shocks. BTW, if you change the rear ride height, the trailing sway bar arms should be close to parallel with the ground for maximum efficiency. I used shorter end links to compensate for my rear drop. Link below.

More Information for HELLWIG 7648

Rear Sway Bar End Link Question (91-94)

I wish the EE bar and some of their other Explorer parts were still available. They were top quality.

BTW, contact Addco and ask them directly if they will make a bigger bar than what they list. They have done that for me before, once in the 1989 year for my old Ranchero(1.25" front bar). I've read of others getting help like that from them before. I'd ask Hellwig also, for being a better known suspension company. The EE rear bar is excellent, nearly the perfect size.

That's a great idea, CDW6212R. When I go to purchase one I'll call and see if they do. And get a quote on how much it'd cost. Right now I'm putting Expedition/F150 tow hooks on my X so it'll be later. And as far as shocks, I'm currently standard height and the most I'll ever really do is TT and Shackle. Maybe aal if I start to sag. I was between Blistein and RS5000s, I think I'll go RS5000 because my current ride quality isn't bad so I don't feel like I need much improvement.

I hope they are helpful, and let us know how it goes. I may or may not need another rear bar since I have a 3rd Explorer now.

I hope they are helpful, and let us know how it goes. I may or may not need another rear bar since I have a 3rd Explorer now.
What he said. If they'll do it I'll be interested in one front and rear

What he said. If they'll do it I'll be interested in one front and rear

I also have the Addco front bar, 1.5" big, and I like it. Their hardware is poor, mainly the frame brackets, but they were the only source for a urethane bushing that big.

I had new brackets made, the things they sent had a rounded bend where the bolts set, and the edge of the bolt head hit the bracket over 1/8" from being seated. Tightening them that way would have bent or broken the bolt heads. If you can still get the 1.5" front bar, be prepared to have new frame brackets made, or tell them the issue, and get them to make them properly.

It'll probably be a bit before I call them. Christmas and all coming up. I'm doing good to buy little things I need to finish up my little projects lol. Next is transmission hose for my aux cooler. I've got a problem with window shopping as I'm sure some of the other guys here do lol. By the way. If I wanted to share my experience with a certain project, ie tow hooks, aux cooler, or just whatever. What's the proper thing to do? Make a new post? Comment on an old thread? I just don't want to pollute the forum or anything with posts that have already been covered.

It'll probably be a bit before I call them. Christmas and all coming up. I'm doing good to buy little things I need to finish up my little projects lol. Next is transmission hose for my aux cooler. I've got a problem with window shopping as I'm sure some of the other guys here do lol. By the way. If I wanted to share my experience with a certain project, ie tow hooks, aux cooler, or just whatever. What's the proper thing to do? Make a new post? Comment on an old thread? I just don't want to pollute the forum or anything with posts that have already been covered.

We welcome any new threads about your vehicle, or the projects. Browse some and you'll see that there are tons of great threads about just one vehicle, or individual projects. Just try to make your posts organized in the right forum sections.

Sounds good. Eventually I'll purchase Elite membership, but until then I'm going to try to use imgur for linking to pictures.

k, kiddies here is something you might be interested in. i remembered i have to replace the bushing on my rear EE bar. so i called dave and asked if he had any part numbers.
they are energy suspension numbers 9.5168G and/or 9.5173G (g is the black ones).
now if i heard him correctly, at one time he was going to do 10 more of them, and as for a small deposit, but nobody showed interest so he didnt do it. what i would suggest is call him, say you saw this thread about them and tell him one of the members here (me, but i didnt tell him my name, i just told him at one time i had one of his old EE explorer 5L xcharger kits) and see if he is willing to do a small group buy on them.

You had a chance to get one yet? If so, which route did you go and what do you think about it?

Also, I contacted Summit about the Hellwig bar. It is indeed a 1" and they admit that it is a mistake on their page.

You had a chance to get one yet? If so, which route did you go and what do you think about it?

Also, I contacted Summit about the Hellwig bar. It is indeed a 1" and they admit that it is a mistake on their page.
Contact Hellwig and ask them if they will make one bigger, the size of the EE bar.

Contact Hellwig and ask them if they will make one bigger, the size of the EE bar.

A 1.125" bar (based on what I read above), yes?

That sounds right. I'm not sure because I don't recall. It is very thick though, and 1 1/8" sounds right given I've put two of them on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds right. I'm not sure because I don't recall. It is very thick though, and 1 1/8" sounds right given I've put two of them on.

I sent an email asking about a custom sway bar. They said they no longer do custom orders. So, I guess that's out of the question.

Back