Finished custom stereo install, stealth sub box and amp locations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finished custom stereo install, stealth sub box and amp locations

Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
I recently completed my custom stereo installation in my 2000 4 door Limited. I am running JL Audio TR570 satellites in all 4 doors, powered by a JL XD400 amp. In the trunk, I swapped out the stock sub and box for an MTX stealthbox, with a single JL 10W1V3 10", powered by a JL XD300 monoblock.
image-1.jpg

I had good luck hiding the amps behind the factory panel which houses the bottle jack and lug wrench.

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice and Clean!!! Awesome Job!

Keith

nice clean install!! i did the opposite and went huge box huge sub in the back. but you gave me a great idea for where to hide my speaker amp. how hard was it to mount in there?

It actually wasn't hard at all. Just cut two thin right angle pieces of stainless, used self tapping screws to mount inside the access panel, drilled some holes and the amps mounted right up. The only hard part really was cutting them properly so the two amps appear aligned, as I'm kind of fussy about the small details like that.

MurderedSport, the "black wall" around the sub is the aforementioned MTX stealthbox vehicle specific enclosure, purchased from crutchfield.com

I'm just curious what are you doing about the rear window washer fluid? I mounted a power inverter in the same spot and haven't figured out how I'm gonna mount a bottle back there.

Colintrax, I'm not sure what you mean by that, as washer fluid for the rear window comes from the reservoir under the hood.

Colintrax, I'm not sure what you mean by that, as washer fluid for the rear window comes from the reservoir under the hood.

On my 97 the washer fluid has a separate tank for the front and back. So if you pop your hatch theres not a black rubber plug to fill the tank on your truck? :eek:
I thought all 2nd gens were like that

No there is no separate reservoir in the back. All that is housed behind the driver's side access panel in the rear is the lug wrench, bottle jack, and switch to deactivate the factory air levelling suspension. The rest of the compartment I was using for storage prior to mounting the amps.

Ok thanks! Looks like I'll be converting to the newer style and then I don't have to worry about mounting a new tank

On my 97 the washer fluid has a separate tank for the front and back. So if you pop your hatch theres not a black rubber plug to fill the tank on your truck? :eek:
I thought all 2nd gens were like that

they changed it in 98. front and back work off even the same pump i believe.

Stereo

Very nice work!
I would love to see pictures of the door speakers.

Regrettably I didn't take any pictures of the door speakers as they were going in. I may be able to produce some photos in the near future, as I'm thinking of upgrading the door speakers to the JL C5-570x 2-ways, with separate external crossover unit. In my opinion they are one of the best 5x7/6x8 two way speakers available, and my speaker amp is not running at full power so there is definitely breathing room for some upgrades.

Really Nice! Can appreciate the small details like lining up the amps. Never thought about using the drivers side like you did as I have a washer reservoir also (1995). Don't think I have ever filled it up more than once though and I am the original owner..

Back