Finished Meguiar's 3 step... Zaino? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finished Meguiar's 3 step... Zaino?

I just did the three step Meguiars (1. Clean, 2. polish, 3. carnauba wax)

It looks pretty good but I hear its not that long lasting.

I dont HAVE to have the xtreme shine I really just NEED wax on there that will protect it for a year since I am in college.

If I buy the zaino and put it all will the MANY HOURS I spent on this 3 step Meguair's be waisted?

Should I just go buy the turtle wax that claims 1 wax a year and put it over this?

I go to school at texas a&m (near houston) and it is hot and high uv rays. Also will have to park outside all day.
Im not going to have any time or place to wax my car at all so I want to get a solid wax on there before I leave to last me until next summer.

Am I alright with this carnuaba wax or will it just last a couple months?

THANKS!
Grant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used to use this. I was very unhappy about it. It didn't look all that great and wore off in 2 or 3 weeks.

Zaino I'm sure is great, but it's too expensive for me. At the same time, turtle wax just seems too cheap.

Right now I am using a product called nufinish, and am pretty happy about it.

I just bought some 3M Hand Glaze and some 3M Wax. It seems to have a good finish to it. Better than Meguirs I think anyways. We will see on durability.

Where do/did you get the nufinish and 3m products from?

I just looked at it in bright light and realized I have many scratches which im guessing are considered the "swirl" marks mainly on my hood. I think its from when I waxed it last summer with turtle wax and a pakistan 100% cotton towel.

Is it fine to put different brands of wax on top of each other even if one is carnuaba and the other(s) aren't?

Its a dark blue 2000 and pretty much every scratch shows up almost worse than black. Its always been garage kept but wont be starting next week.

Thanks

I found the nufinish at autozone.

Here's what I recommend (novice, others may have better solution).

1.Wash the truck with dishwashing detergent (to remove all wax)
2.Use a scratch remover and "buff" the swirl marks out
3.Apply polish/wax

If I wash it with the dishwashing detergent doesn't that waste every second I spent on applying the three step meguiars?

Originally posted by Fantasymon
If I wash it with the dishwashing detergent doesn't that waste every second I spent on applying the three step meguiars?

That's right. It's your choice. Maybe you should just wait until the meguiar's wears off then do it.

Originally posted by Fantasymon

I really just NEED wax on there that will protect it for a year since I am in college.

I dont know of any wax that will last a year, especially in the conditions your describing...
Once a month is the right way to go if your that concerned about the finish of your X

Zymol Wax works great for me...Best one i have used so far.

I use the Meguires and I used to have the 'not lasting long' problem. Until I put 4 coats of wax on everything. I did this in about March and between rain, lots of washing, and UV, it still has a great shine to it. I was talking to a guy at a boat shop asking him why when I wax my boat the shine doesn't last long. He said you have to put on about 10 coats of wax to really keep a long shine. So the way I figure, the more coats of wax, the better and the longer your shine will last.

I am a major proponent of the Zaino system. I have never seen any wax/polish product that can produce the shine that Zaino can. Not only does it shine like a new penny, but also it is so easy to use.

Is the Zaino a good protectant or will I have to be out there rewaxing it every month?

Yea ChuckyD how does too much wax hurt paint? I'm not doubting, just want to know.

Thanks

I used that Meguars 3-step stuff with Mothers Clay Bar first and then finnished it in Meguars Gold Class.
Total disapointment. With the clay bar , the cleaner and the pollish , I got the exact same results as the times I used JUST the Gold Class.
I don't know about the cost comparison from Meguars Gold Class to Zaino and I have never used Zaino , but I know I love the results of the Gold Class. Lasts a good month or two in dry suburban territiory.

An alternative to Zaino is Klasse. It has the 2 step process and will last just as long as Zaino.

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer
An alternative to Zaino is Klasse. It has the 2 step process and will last just as long as Zaino.

Billy can Klasse be found anywhere locally? I have searched and searched to no avail.

Neh, I ordered it from the internet. I got mine for about $50, including shipping. Here's the link:

Dead Link Removed

This company is great! I got my order from them within a couple of days.

Have you actually compared the results with Zaino?

Thanks......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back