Fire!

wilsonwilson

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburg ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' E.B.
:fire: 92' 4WD 4DR Eddie Bauer :fire:

Unexplained fire on startup (cranked 3-4 times then fire, never started) around ignition box. Burned up anything not metal on the top part or engine. Was having problem with black smoke / no power on hard excel. and horrible gas mileage.

What did it?
whats it going to take to get her goin again?

I'm looking at new air box, ignition box / spark plug wire, new wire harness, new hoses, new throttle cable. Missing anything obvious?. I'll post pics soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wilsonwilson said:
:fire: 92' 4WD 4DR Eddie Bauer :fire:

Unexplained fire on startup (cranked 3-4 times then fire, never started) around ignition box. Burned up anything not metal on the top part or engine. Was having problem with black smoke / no power on hard excel. and horrible gas mileage.

What did it?
whats it going to take to get her goin again?

I'm looking at new air box, ignition box / spark plug wire, new wire harness, new hoses, new throttle cable. Missing anything obvious?. I'll post pics soon.

Sorry about the fire. Was there by chance anything leaking on the motor? Maybe an oil leak or even a fuel leak along the fuel rail? Another reason behind is could also be a bad voltage regulator but unfortunately its hard to tell without looking at it first hand. I would replace anything that had prolonged periods of extreme temperatures or anything that show fatigue from the fire.

Sounds like a Ford just being itself... I don't know but I remember there being a problem with fords of the late 80's - early 90's era with ignition switches that randomly caught fire.

Ford just recalled millions of vehicles because a cruise control problem was causing fires.

That recall has nothing to do with 92's though. There's no cruise control switch on the Brake Master Cylinder. they are electrical, on the back of the brake pedal.

Sounds like you had something on top of the motor. Oil/Gas? And maybe crossfire from the Wires?

I was just supporting "Sounds like a Ford just being itself" from El Luchador.

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure that the thread wasn't going down the wrong path.

Back