Fire!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fire!!!

Not buying this at all...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This post is ridiculous! My 2012 has not caught on fire as the OP suggests. The complaints on this board are so over blown and over the top!

Alright, just got a call from my dealer that my EX is ready for pick up. Just got the following NORMAL problems associated with a second year redesign done:

1. Tin roof sound.
2. A pillar rattle.
3. Transmission slamming issue (first time at dealer they did not believe me, this time slammed with TECH in car)
4. Creaking front suspension (first time at dealer they tightened the bumper, wtf?) But now it was replacement of dry worn out bushings.
5. Burning smell under hard acceleration, and
6. Falling off air vent dam.

Look at all this crap I've had to deal with and your complaining about a little fire? My suggestion is take up smoking that way you have a nice ignition source!

But in all seriousness, I believe you saw what you saw.

For actual FIRE, you need 3 things. Fuel, Oxygen, and Ignition. Ignition could have been caused by an arc. Oxygen is pretty obvious here. What you're lacking is fuel. Plastic (like around the wires) can burn but its ignition temperature is much higher than an arc from anything in that area can create. If somehow there was something in the lighter socket, like lighter fluid, a metal-and-paper bubblegum wrapper (ignition & fuel in 1 package), or something like that, a very short and low-power arc (not enough to trip the fuse) could ignite it and it would burn till the fuel ran out.

Still, that's a series of unlikely events. Unless you were pranked or something.

The other thing with a gum wrapper is that it wouldn't provide the flame-thrower style effect. There would have to have been something like comressed air or a fireball to cause that... Compressed air is most likely impossible without tampering but a fireball could happen in theory (it just wouldn't last for 5 or 6 seconds)

The only real definite answer here is as someone had previously stated- Flame throwers are standard. btw, I'm putting that in my sig :D

Has the OP found a camera yet?

Back