• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Firestone Renews Tire Recall

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
I have the Firestone P255/70R16 Wilderness AT tires on my 98 Explorer, you think I should check this out?

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
SoBeLover said:
I have the Firestone P255/70R16 Wilderness AT tires on my 98 Explorer, you think I should check this out?
I saw an Ex last weekend that also had Wilderness ATs. I think that Firestone may have been replacing some of the original recall tires (15") with newer Wilderness ATs, but I don't know about the 16" ones. I replaced my 16" before the second recall (for 16") and Ford reimbursed me later.

unclemeat

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
The timing is very intersting. Does anybody remeber the thread a month or so ago where someone was buying old wilderness AT spares, I got $200 for mine. In discusing the situation with the company, I told them that I remember the recall was not for spares. They seemed surprised by my response. I woul like to think that in some small way I helped screw firestone and cost them more money.

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
unclemeat said:
The timing is very intersting. Does anybody remeber the thread a month or so ago where someone was buying old wilderness AT spares, I got $200 for mine. In discusing the situation with the company, I told them that I remember the recall was not for spares. They seemed surprised by my response. I woul like to think that in some small way I helped screw firestone and cost them more money.
I was contacted as well and got $200. Easy money if you ask me, my Firestone spare was not even a Wilderness, but an FR400 or something like that. They didn't care, they said they wanted to test that as well. OK with me. :D

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
I still have one of the ATX II's underneath my Explorer...guess I'll mosey on over to Firestone and get a new spare....

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
unclemeat said:

It is interesting, I didn't sell mine because they wanted the tire mounted on the rim, and I would need to get another rim and tire.

410Fortune

River Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
hmmmmmmmmm

I will be checking numbers today, my wrecked 96 has 4ea Firestone Wilderness AT's and I ROLLED IT hahaha (tires are fine)

unclemeat

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
My old firestone tire and wheel were junk to me. I did not have to dismount the tire to get rid of it. I got almost 2 extra sets of 15x7 wheels, the spare was meaningless. The money paid to repace my tire that I destroyed at the east coast 10-year anniversy run.

Dopler174

Official Welcome Committe
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4X4
I remimber that. Real bad gash. Real pricy tire.

OZexplore

Reaction score
City, State
coffs harbour n.s.w. Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98xlt
whn they did the recall here they did all 5 straight away 15" & 16" even though there was not one report of a rollover related to tyre failure

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
OZexplore said:
whn they did the recall here they did all 5 straight away 15" & 16" even though there was not one report of a rollover related to tyre failure
to cover their own asses.

EMG7895

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt, 93
OZexplore said:
That recall hurt bridgestone/firestone alot. none of my local dealers will carry their tires anymore after this, which sucks for me because my new car came with bridgestones and 2 of them have been defective, which means I have to drive an hour away to a authorized dealer to have them tell me that the tread split open was caused by a road hazard.

uh60james

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport (Dora), '06 XLT
Good to know, I will be getting a brand new spare for free tommorow it looks like.

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
uh60james said:
Good to know, I will be getting a brand new spare for free tommorow it looks like.
Post on how Firestone handled it. I am curious if they will just replace it easily, or quiz you like you are a criminal.

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
I still have two brand new ATX's (One spare from My 1992, and one from the 94 ) Hehe....I wonder what they replace them with??

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Crankcase said:
I still have two brand new ATX's (One spare from My 1992, and one from the 94 ) Hehe....I wonder what they replace them with??
Yep, they will. I just got what appears to be the original ATX II spare in my '94 replaced with no problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

uh60james

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport (Dora), '06 XLT
toypaseo said:
Post on how Firestone handled it. I am curious if they will just replace it easily, or quiz you like you are a criminal.
I ended up putting it off, when I went by the local Firestone I saw I would be waiting awhile it was pretty busy. There website says it will be replaced no questions asked though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R NHTSA Denies Firestone Request For Ford Explorer Investigation Auto Industry News 1
D Tire jurors hear from Firestone chief Auto Industry News 0
D Firestone calls Explorer 'uncontrollable' Auto Industry News 22
A Replacement tires worse than Firestone Wilderness ATs??? Auto Industry News 2
Mike Recall on ALLL firestone tires?! Auto Industry News 57
A Now what? Ford + Firestone no more?! Auto Industry News 4
Dre Latest on Firestone tires. Auto Industry News 35
C Ford, Firestone Settle Injury Suit, Avert Trial Auto Industry News 0
Stephen Ford expects record 2000 sales, despite Firestone recall Auto Industry News 0
Stephen Latest on Firestone Situation Auto Industry News 9
Stephen Firestone Sales Report Auto Industry News 5
N Firestone 16 Auto Industry News 2
F Firestone Factory Walkout Auto Industry News 9
A Firestone/Ford -Is the Explorer at fault? Auto Industry News 18
Stephen Congress Launches Firestone Probe Auto Industry News 6
Stephen Broader Firestone Recall Possible Auto Industry News 19
N 12 week waitng list for Firestone replacement! Auto Industry News 1
Char Don't start anymore threads for Firestone tires Auto Industry News 0
Rick Firestone begins RECALL program Auto Industry News 3
mrboyle Statement from Firestone/Bridgestone Auto Industry News 0
C Faulty Firestone Tires kills over 21 people? Auto Industry News 58