Firestone Renews Tire Recall | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Firestone Renews Tire Recall

unclemeat said:
The timing is very intersting. Does anybody remeber the thread a month or so ago where someone was buying old wilderness AT spares, I got $200 for mine. In discusing the situation with the company, I told them that I remember the recall was not for spares. They seemed surprised by my response. I woul like to think that in some small way I helped screw firestone and cost them more money.
It is a sticky in the tire and wheel sectionhttp://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160609 I wonder if they are still buying them? I could put the $200 towards the 33s I've been wanting :D

*Update* I spoke to Ellen Liberman from Safety Resarch & Strategies today and they are still buying the tires if you have them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went by the local Discount Tire Warehouse (Firestone retailer) to have my 1990 ATX spare relaced. Real friendly, but after 30 minutes and a multitude of phone calls they couldn't help me and recommended the Mazda dealer. The posted recall addressed primarily 1998 era tires and they didn't know how to comp the older tire.
I drove up to a real Firestone dealer, who confirmed that it was an ATX and gave me a Destination LE, no questions asked and no charge for valve, mounting, balancing, etc. :)

Today, I went to the Firestone dealer with a printout of the recall page, and asked them to check out my tires. Well, tomorrow I have to bring in my Explorer to have all five Wilderness AT tires replaced.

Now I'll feel safer driving my Explorer to Vermont when my vacation starts Friday.

SoBeLover said:
Well, tomorrow I have to bring in my Explorer to have all five Wilderness AT tires replaced.

Cool. Free Tires. :thumbsup:

What are they going to replace them with? I got Goodyears to replace the Firestones (big improvement, but they got noiser as they got older) I replaced the Goodyears with Pirelli Scorpians last fall, I really like them so far.

shamaal said:
I drove up to a real Firestone dealer, who confirmed that it was an ATX and gave me a Destination LE, no questions asked and no charge for valve, mounting, balancing, etc. :)

My experience :D

shamaal said:
shamaal said:
I drove up to a real Firestone dealer, who confirmed that it was an ATX and gave me a Destination LE, no questions asked and no charge for valve, mounting, balancing, etc.

My experience :D

Same great service for me this afternoon!

Sorry, I didn't answer this sooner, but I just got back from Vermont today. The tires they put on were Destination ATs. If I had to pay for this myself, the price tag would have been $702

Back