• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Firestone Renews Tire Recall

Lt.Jim

Reaction score
City, State
South Central Pennsylvania/NorthernMaryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
unclemeat said:
The timing is very intersting. Does anybody remeber the thread a month or so ago where someone was buying old wilderness AT spares, I got $200 for mine. In discusing the situation with the company, I told them that I remember the recall was not for spares. They seemed surprised by my response. I woul like to think that in some small way I helped screw firestone and cost them more money.
It is a sticky in the tire and wheel sectionhttp://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160609 I wonder if they are still buying them? I could put the $200 towards the 33s I've been wanting :D

*Update* I spoke to Ellen Liberman from Safety Resarch & Strategies today and they are still buying the tires if you have them.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

shamaal

Reaction score
City, State
Friensdwood, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
I went by the local Discount Tire Warehouse (Firestone retailer) to have my 1990 ATX spare relaced. Real friendly, but after 30 minutes and a multitude of phone calls they couldn't help me and recommended the Mazda dealer. The posted recall addressed primarily 1998 era tires and they didn't know how to comp the older tire.
I drove up to a real Firestone dealer, who confirmed that it was an ATX and gave me a Destination LE, no questions asked and no charge for valve, mounting, balancing, etc. :)

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Today, I went to the Firestone dealer with a printout of the recall page, and asked them to check out my tires. Well, tomorrow I have to bring in my Explorer to have all five Wilderness AT tires replaced.

Now I'll feel safer driving my Explorer to Vermont when my vacation starts Friday.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
SoBeLover said:
Well, tomorrow I have to bring in my Explorer to have all five Wilderness AT tires replaced.
Cool. Free Tires. :thumbsup:

What are they going to replace them with? I got Goodyears to replace the Firestones (big improvement, but they got noiser as they got older) I replaced the Goodyears with Pirelli Scorpians last fall, I really like them so far.

shamaal

Reaction score
City, State
Friensdwood, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
shamaal said:
I drove up to a real Firestone dealer, who confirmed that it was an ATX and gave me a Destination LE, no questions asked and no charge for valve, mounting, balancing, etc. :)
My experience :D

agzaretzka

Elite - G-d Bless!
Reaction score
City, State
Kennewick, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EB
shamaal said:
shamaal said:
I drove up to a real Firestone dealer, who confirmed that it was an ATX and gave me a Destination LE, no questions asked and no charge for valve, mounting, balancing, etc.
My experience :D
Same great service for me this afternoon!

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Sorry, I didn't answer this sooner, but I just got back from Vermont today. The tires they put on were Destination ATs. If I had to pay for this myself, the price tag would have been $702

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R NHTSA Denies Firestone Request For Ford Explorer Investigation Auto Industry News 1
D Tire jurors hear from Firestone chief Auto Industry News 0
D Firestone calls Explorer 'uncontrollable' Auto Industry News 22
A Replacement tires worse than Firestone Wilderness ATs??? Auto Industry News 2
Mike Recall on ALLL firestone tires?! Auto Industry News 57
A Now what? Ford + Firestone no more?! Auto Industry News 4
Dre Latest on Firestone tires. Auto Industry News 35
C Ford, Firestone Settle Injury Suit, Avert Trial Auto Industry News 0
Stephen Ford expects record 2000 sales, despite Firestone recall Auto Industry News 0
Stephen Latest on Firestone Situation Auto Industry News 9
Stephen Firestone Sales Report Auto Industry News 5
N Firestone 16 Auto Industry News 2
F Firestone Factory Walkout Auto Industry News 9
A Firestone/Ford -Is the Explorer at fault? Auto Industry News 18
Stephen Congress Launches Firestone Probe Auto Industry News 6
Stephen Broader Firestone Recall Possible Auto Industry News 19
N 12 week waitng list for Firestone replacement! Auto Industry News 1
Char Don't start anymore threads for Firestone tires Auto Industry News 0
Rick Firestone begins RECALL program Auto Industry News 3
mrboyle Statement from Firestone/Bridgestone Auto Industry News 0
C Faulty Firestone Tires kills over 21 people? Auto Industry News 58