Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the Firestone P255/70R16 Wilderness AT tires on my 98 Explorer, you think I should check this out?

Best advice is to go to Firestone's website and see if it's listed as a recalled tire.

SoBeLover said:
I have the Firestone P255/70R16 Wilderness AT tires on my 98 Explorer, you think I should check this out?

I saw an Ex last weekend that also had Wilderness ATs. I think that Firestone may have been replacing some of the original recall tires (15") with newer Wilderness ATs, but I don't know about the 16" ones. I replaced my 16" before the second recall (for 16") and Ford reimbursed me later.

The timing is very intersting. Does anybody remeber the thread a month or so ago where someone was buying old wilderness AT spares, I got $200 for mine. In discusing the situation with the company, I told them that I remember the recall was not for spares. They seemed surprised by my response. I woul like to think that in some small way I helped screw firestone and cost them more money.

unclemeat said:
The timing is very intersting. Does anybody remeber the thread a month or so ago where someone was buying old wilderness AT spares, I got $200 for mine. In discusing the situation with the company, I told them that I remember the recall was not for spares. They seemed surprised by my response. I woul like to think that in some small way I helped screw firestone and cost them more money.

I was contacted as well and got $200. Easy money if you ask me, my Firestone spare was not even a Wilderness, but an FR400 or something like that. They didn't care, they said they wanted to test that as well. OK with me. :D

I still have one of the ATX II's underneath my Explorer...guess I'll mosey on over to Firestone and get a new spare....

unclemeat said:

It is interesting, I didn't sell mine because they wanted the tire mounted on the rim, and I would need to get another rim and tire.

hmmmmmmmmm

I will be checking numbers today, my wrecked 96 has 4ea Firestone Wilderness AT's and I ROLLED IT hahaha (tires are fine)

My old firestone tire and wheel were junk to me. I did not have to dismount the tire to get rid of it. I got almost 2 extra sets of 15x7 wheels, the spare was meaningless. The money paid to repace my tire that I destroyed at the east coast 10-year anniversy run.

I remimber that. Real bad gash. Real pricy tire.

whn they did the recall here they did all 5 straight away 15" & 16" even though there was not one report of a rollover related to tyre failure

OZexplore said:
whn they did the recall here they did all 5 straight away 15" & 16" even though there was not one report of a rollover related to tyre failure

to cover their own *****.

OZexplore said:
That recall hurt bridgestone/firestone alot. none of my local dealers will carry their tires anymore after this, which sucks for me because my new car came with bridgestones and 2 of them have been defective, which means I have to drive an hour away to a authorized dealer to have them tell me that the tread split open was caused by a road hazard.

Good to know, I will be getting a brand new spare for free tommorow it looks like.

uh60james said:
Good to know, I will be getting a brand new spare for free tommorow it looks like.

Post on how Firestone handled it. I am curious if they will just replace it easily, or quiz you like you are a criminal.

I still have two brand new ATX's (One spare from My 1992, and one from the 94 ) Hehe....I wonder what they replace them with??

Crankcase said:
I still have two brand new ATX's (One spare from My 1992, and one from the 94 ) Hehe....I wonder what they replace them with??
Yep, they will. I just got what appears to be the original ATX II spare in my '94 replaced with no problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

toypaseo said:
Post on how Firestone handled it. I am curious if they will just replace it easily, or quiz you like you are a criminal.

I ended up putting it off, when I went by the local Firestone I saw I would be waiting awhile it was pretty busy. There website says it will be replaced no questions asked though.

Back