• Register Today It's free!

Firewall Drill Location

AdmiralLopez

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
I am installing some aux lights and need to get from battery inside engine compartment to switch panel in center console. Does anyone know of a usable grommet or do I have to drill the firewall?

I don't want to do a door wrap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the trucks have grommets right around the steering wheel. Don't know about the explorers. Hope this helps

What type of switch panel are you using and where? Trying to decide where to add mine at.

I am installing some aux lights and need to get from battery inside engine compartment to switch panel in center console. Does anyone know of a usable grommet or do I have to drill the firewall?

I don't want to do a door wrap.

It's been mentioned on here several times but your answer is made clear on the Ford Police Interceptor Website. Check out the link to the Modifiers Guide and it shows the recommended spot behind the glove box.

I think someone on here has actually posted the specific Modifiers Guide pages with photos in a previous thread.

In my up-fit I drilled a 3/4 inch hole in the floor near the center hump to run wiring, then sealed it with silicone. This location worked out well as my power bus cables could be covered up by the OEM heat shield that runs under the vehicle. Another thread on here talks about the OEM location behind the glove compartment, advising its horrible to access.

Back