First Explorer...plenty of problems...Lets deal with the remote entry first | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Explorer...plenty of problems...Lets deal with the remote entry first

shaunbrooker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hi everyone, I got my first Explorer, very good price but a few issues. The truck only came with one key, no remotes. I purchased a new remote but cannot get it to programme!

When I can get the truck to enter programme mode (locks cycle) by flicking the key on and off eight times so I know that is fine...but nothing happens when i press any button on the remote.

I have had the FOB tested and it works fine...

Have disconnected the battery as seen in some threads...no difference..(only the radio now needs a code which I do not have!!!)

I have locked and unlocked the doors first, doors are all shut, radio off, no foot on the brake...

What am I missing???

ALSO...the emission light on the dash stays on...doesn't sound like there is a hole or anything wrong with the exhaust...HOWEVER, after the battery was disconnected for a while the emission light went off for a while, sadly the following day it returned.

Any help welcomed...Explorer is NZ new not sure if that will change anything...

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Hi everyone, I got my first Explorer, very good price but a few issues. The truck only came with one key, no remotes. I purchased a new remote but cannot get it to programme!

When I can get the truck to enter programme mode (locks cycle) by flicking the key on and off eight times so I know that is fine...but nothing happens when i press any button on the remote.

I have had the FOB tested and it works fine...

Have disconnected the battery as seen in some threads...no difference..(only the radio now needs a code which I do not have!!!)

I have locked and unlocked the doors first, doors are all shut, radio off, no foot on the brake...

What am I missing???

The steps for programming the key fobs is in the owners manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed. Is it possible that the remote is not the correct one for your vehicle?

KeyFobProgrammingCustom.jpg

ALSO...the emission light on the dash stays on...doesn't sound like there is a hole or anything wrong with the exhaust...HOWEVER, after the battery was disconnected for a while the emission light went off for a while, sadly the following day it returned.

Get the codes read for the check engine light. Then you will have a better idea of what the problem is

Any help welcomed...Explorer is NZ new not sure if that will change anything...

Does this mean you are from New Zealand?

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Thanks for the reply BigRondo. I have followed your instructions several times...BUT the question remains, Is this the remote for this car?? How do I find the answer to that?? The auto shop I got this from got the 'model' from a manual, but could NZ new explorers be different from others as far as these remotes go??---Very blabby, but I guess I am saying I simply do not know if it is the right one (has four buttons) and how to tell??

I took the truck to the shop today for a service and they will check the codes for me tomorrow.

Yes I am in New Zealand...

Will get back tomorrow and let you know what the codes are.
S

Back