• Register Today It's free!

First gen 4.0 to 5.0 coyote swap

rutmac2

Reaction score
City, State
Vista, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Hey everyone, I have a 94 2WD Eddie Bauer explorer with 180k miles on it. I was wondering if swapping in a 5.0 coyote with OBD II and compatible 2WD auto trans would be possible? I’ve already replaced most of the big components on the car beside a timing chain/lower engine rebuild. Will be painting her soon in my back yard as well. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coyote is very wide. It probably won't fit without major fabrication work. Also, all the electronic nightmares that come with that fancy new motor. Also, you might just try the search function.

The biggest obstacle would be money. The coyote has complete stand alone wiring kits available. If you can give up your vehicle for several weeks, and want to drop 10k plus into a first Gen it could happen.

How many dissimilar motor swaps have you done?

The biggest obstacle would be money. The coyote has complete stand alone wiring kits available. If you can give up your vehicle for several weeks, and want to drop 10k plus into a first Gen it could happen.

How many dissimilar motor swaps have you done?
I’ve only replaced same engines into the same car. I have Mitchell so it all the wiring for a new engine would be available

The wiring is going to be the least concerning part of the build. Entire plug and play options are available. Fitting it, making the headers, and installing a transmission are going to be the main obstacles.

Back