First Gen rocker repair | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Gen rocker repair

I got bored this morning and cut this sore thumb off my truck, my passenger side back door (at the over lap, common area) hole had gotten big enough I was worried about getting cut up on it, so I though I'd show what I did. This was done with a cut-off wheel, a grinder, a mig welder and a hammer and channel-lock pliers, no prefab parts. I used 20 Gauge steel from the hardware store.

This is the cancer in question, some initial cutting to see where the steel started.

11-10-05_1002.jpg

This is the metal cut off and the firt piece of steel welded in. I did this as several smaller pieces so I could hammer the edges, it took longer but since I don't have body work tools, like a shrinker spreader or a super accurate metal brake (I have one I made for making gas tanks, but they don't have to be perfect)
11-10-05_1019.jpg

This is all the metal bent and welded and ground down, its not perfect yet, but its within a 1/16" everywhere, so its bondo ready. keep in mind, it didn't need to be perfect, just no sharp rusty edges to kill pants or cut up legs.
I think it was 4 seperate pieces of steel, this ups the amount of welding, but it makes it alot easier to get looking close!
11-10-05_1419.jpg

I really only showed this so you other guys that don't wana spend money on rocker panels, I spent about $30 that includes bondo, dupont primer/sealer, and finish color (not applied since it started to rain) It isn't perfect, but for a truck I don't plan on entering into a show contest, its fine and its safer (keeps down on Tetanis!!)

Lookin excellent, can't wait to see it painted!

Back