first modification to 06 Explorer V8: Class III trailer hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

first modification to 06 Explorer V8: Class III trailer hitch

z0lt3c

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer EB V8
I went ahead and ordered an aftermarket Class III hitch for my 2006 Ford Explorer V8. I purchased the truck used about 4 months ago and for some reason the original owner opted to keep the standard class II hitch w/ the V8 engine. I have a boat, car and tractor that I like to tow around so a class II hitch was not gonna cut it for me.

Since I liked everything else about the truck, I decided to remedy the hitch situation by purchasing a CURT CUSTOM FIT REAR TOWING HITCH MODEL 47. I ordered the hitch from Cabela's, where they have it listed for $150, but after discounts and club credits I got it for under $100. This particular model mounts under the factory class II hitch, leaving the factory hitch exposed. It's finished in a shiny black powder coat and is constructed mostly of tube stock. It's quite a hefty piece with the following specifications;

Weight Carrying 5000 lb.
Tongue Weight 500 lb.
Weight Distribution (WD) 8000 lb.
WD Tongue Weight 800 lb.

13112_300x225_a.jpg

The installation was simple but took me quite a bit of time to complete fully. The hitch installation involves bolting the hitch onto the two rear frame rails using a "fishwiring" technique to position the bolts into place. This technique makes use of the existing access ports and bolt holes in the rails so no additional drilling is required.

I was able to fish 3 of the 4 bolts into position no problem using the tool provided in the kit, the instructions and this video from etrailer.com: fishwiring video. However, the last bolt got stuck in the frame rail and fell off the tool. I was delayed while I had to wait for this tool to arrive to fish the hardware back out: link to ebay tool. After getting the bolt out and re-curling the fishwire tool I was finally successful in installing the 4th bolt.

The finished product looks like the below. I still need to figure out a more elegant solution to handle the 4 flat wiring connector. So far I am much happier with this new hitch, and compared to how the factory hitch is welded onto the ends of the frame rails, this attachment solution looks more robust. My future plans include converting this to the round style connector and exploring options to add a transmission cooler.

IMG_1755.jpg

Thanks,
Z

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a bad idea. I dont know if I would trust it for towing my car on a car trailer though lol.

got the same one on my 07, not to happy with the look of it compared to stock.
thinking about selling it and do some custom work

I thought "the look" would bother me, but after driving around with it back there for a few days, I really don't mind it. I kinda like having the dual hitches because it lets me run something like reverse lights in the class II hitch while I have the trailer rigged up to the class III hitch.

I looking into a retrofit of the factory class III bumper assembly and it looks like it was going to take quite a bit of custom fabrication, cutting and welding and what not... a little over my head.

I don't have any data to prove this, but after looking at how the factory class II receiver is welded to rear frame ends, I much prefer the 4x bolt through frame attachment mechanism of the after market hitch. For those concerns about towing a car, it's well within the weight limits of the hitch and truck, so I don't see the problem.

Factory hitch

I inquired at the local Ford dealer 2 weeks ago for my '03 with the stock 1 1/4" hitch. You can buy the factory tow package if your vehicle has the wiring which I was in luck and had. He said that most of the early ones like '02s and '03s do have the wiring but '04s and on are when thay started the cost down and they have 2 different harnesses.
So the kit comes with the 2" recevier that replaces the 1 1/4", 7 lead plug and harness that plugs in the back and the engine oil cooler with new heater hoses. It listed for $575 and I got 20% off for $432 total. They wanted 4-5 hours to install so as usual, I did it myself. It comes with "instructions". The hitch is easy, and the instructions are easy to follow for the bumper cover removal. The hitch is simply 3 bolts on each frame side, remove the complete class 2 and bolt in the calss 3. No foolish undermounted crazy looking things. Now comes the oil cooler. You unscrew the oil filter and mount this heat exchanger and reroute some of the heater hoses which are also included in the kit. OK, those hoses are a bit tricky and I can detail later. The electric brake connecter is under the glovebox tucked way up near the center console and wrapped to another harness with some electrical tape. Pull it down, and fish your adapter harness under the heat controls, you 'll have to pry that whole thing off and it's pretty easy usign a 1" putty knife and a rag so you don't mar the dash. The only way to really have the class III towing capacities would be wiht 3.73 limited slip gears and i do not have these. So I'm probably at a 4500# towing opposd to the factory 3450#. Next wioll be the transmission cooler.

mine is for sale- never used. offers

looks good

Got the same one for sale,never had a draw bar in it, two months old, offers?

My first major tow with the new hitch was a success. I pulled my 18' bowrider 300 miles from my NJ to NY homes. Truck pulled the trailer like nothing was there, even over the steepest hills. Love the V8! Plenty of stopping power as well, OEM brakes/pads on all corners. Avg 12-13 mpg when towing. Usually get closer to 18-19mpg when not towing.

IMG_1861.jpg

MOOVS, are you selling the curt under hitch hitch or the factory hitch? Where are you located?

I have the class II factory hitch and talked to dealer about replacing it with a class III. He said some are welded on and others or bolted on. Must get under and look. If bolted on, the wrecking yeard is best place to find one and just unbolt the old and add the class III. If welded, cut of the old and weld on the new. That is what I am thinking of doing. I don't tow heavy trailers but do not like the small class II hitch.

A replacement from the factory runs over $700.00 in my country of Missouri. Too much fo me!

Towed my boat around all season with the explorer and aftermarket class III hitch. About half way through the season I traded in the old boat and bought a new one... 2' longer and about 1000 lbs heavier. Had to modify the flat 4 wiring to flat 5, by picking up the reverse light from one the rear tail lights and wiring it down into the towing harness.

No problems with either load, I'm very happy with this solution considering I spent under $200 on everything. I will say tho I've found it impossible to use both hitches together as I originally hoped.

Towed my boat around all season with the explorer and aftermarket class III hitch. About half way through the season I traded in the old boat and bought a new one... 2' longer and about 1000 lbs heavier. Had to modify the flat 4 wiring to flat 5, by picking up the reverse light from one the rear tail lights and wiring it down into the towing harness.

No problems with either load, I'm very happy with this solution considering I spent under $200 on everything. I will say tho I've found it impossible to use both hitches together as I originally hoped.

Good thread Z. Thats a good looking Explorer, esp. w/a boat behind it! How many miles on it and that is a 6 speed trans used w/the v/8 isn't it?:smoke:

Back