First mods?

danpomeroy

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
Hi everyone,

I have a stock 92. I am starting My build after the new year. I’m in the planing stage.

what are your recommendation? Where should I start?

it does have 31’s with no lift.
it’s got barely enough power to go down the road. The engines strong and was “ok” with the stock tires.
4 wheel doesn’t work. Was planning on switching to manual hubs and looked at converting the transfer case to manual but can’t find a kit for under $700

other than that, I’m looking for ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good luck on your project. You might search for how to repair the shift motor
on the transfer case.

The first time I did mine, it took about 30-45 minutes. I cut a slot in the 3 screws
fixing the motor to the transfer case. I cut a piece of 3/8 inch fuel line and
put that on the arm of the motor (there is a plastic cap that breaks off the motor).

Good luck

Good luck on your project. You might search for how to repair the shift motor
on the transfer case.

The first time I did mine, it took about 30-45 minutes. I cut a slot in the 3 screws
fixing the motor to the transfer case. I cut a piece of 3/8 inch fuel line and
put that on the arm of the motor (there is a plastic cap that breaks off the motor).

Good luck
Nice! Thank you. Right now I push the button and nothing happens. ugh.

Look at the first post here to help figure out the 4wd issue. How to: - 4x4 Troubleshooting guide
Seems like your biggest problem would be “barely having enough power to go down the road.” You say the engine is strong, so look at the trans. I’m guessing you have the auto trans? If the engine was okay with stock tires, does that mean you put larger ones on?
What kits are you finding to convert the tcase to manual? I want to see those.

Honestly, my favorite “mod” so far has been full LED interior lighting and Bluetooth. Makes the whole truck feel 20 years younger.

Rear disc swap is cool, isn’t too hard, and is fairy inexpensive. F150 front coil spacers and AAL help with stance. Auxiliary lighting is fun and useful.

Good luck.

Look at the first post here to help figure out the 4wd issue. How to: - 4x4 Troubleshooting guide
Seems like your biggest problem would be “barely having enough power to go down the road.” You say the engine is strong, so look at the trans. I’m guessing you have the auto trans? If the engine was okay with stock tires, does that mean you put larger ones on?
What kits are you finding to convert the tcase to manual? I want to see those.
Agreed. If it is an auto with 31s I would highly recommend a aftermarket cooler and temp gauge.

What gears are in your 92?
3.55 or 3.73?
How many miles?
Stick or auto?

You should find a 1354m, manual shift transfer case, it bolts directly in
I sell them for $400-600 complete
You can also find them in the junk yards, wreckers, ebay, fellow forum members, etc.......

Back