First off-road rig! 2nd Gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First off-road rig! 2nd Gen Explorer

Skippyjuarez

Reaction score
City, State
Riverton, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Callsign
Skippy
Howdy y’all! My name is Skippy and I am located for the time being in Riverton, Utah! Soon to be St. George, Utah! All my friends have crawlers, I’ve always been the one hitching a ride with someone, but now I have my own vehicle that I can take off reading! I recently purchased a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS for $3k with 126k miles. The main issue with the car was some body damage and the driver door wouldn’t open. Once I got the car I fixed the door, did basic maintenance such as oil change, air filter, brakes, front and rear shocks, removed front & rear sway bars, alignment, wheels, tires, tightened torsion bars, radio, speakers, replaced many fuses, and even deep cleaned the interior and tinted the windows. I’ve since been camping, crawling up Mary Ellen’s Gulch, and just around town!
I’be had a bunch of help from Salty Gears Offroad in SLC, Utah and from my roommate Beau, but most of the work I’ve done myself because I want to learn as much as I can!
Can’t wait to get to know you all!

015ACFBD-823A-468D-8053-D3152C553A20.jpeg 35E22B66-2AE3-4738-9E41-2BACA628F384.jpeg 15E41AB3-0FAA-43C6-9235-4AAF21A56543.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howdy y’all! My name is Skippy and I am located for the time being in Riverton, Utah! Soon to be St. George, Utah! All my friends have crawlers, I’ve always been the one hitching a ride with someone, but now I have my own vehicle that I can take off reading! I recently purchased a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS for $3k with 126k miles. The main issue with the car was some body damage and the driver door wouldn’t open. Once I got the car I fixed the door, did basic maintenance such as oil change, air filter, brakes, front and rear shocks, removed front & rear sway bars, alignment, wheels, tires, tightened torsion bars, radio, speakers, replaced many fuses, and even deep cleaned the interior and tinted the windows. I’ve since been camping, crawling up Mary Ellen’s Gulch, and just around town!
I’be had a bunch of help from Salty Gears Offroad in SLC, Utah and from my roommate Beau, but most of the work I’ve done myself because I want to learn as much as I can!

View attachment 435104 View attachment 435105 View attachment 435106
Very nice explorer and Welcome to EF

welcome to EF!!!! thats one nice rig!!!! :D

Welcome. Nice looking rig!

Welcome to the forum! Beautiful pictures.

Welcome!!
XLS so does it have the OHV pushrod 4.0?

good looking rig! What are your future plans for it?

Good to see that you are using your Explorer offroad. Looks like a nice rig:chug:

Welcome Skippy. Nice ride.

Welcome! Nice truck!

Welcome!!

It is the XLS! It’s the
Welcome!!

It is the SOHC 4.0L V6!

For now just making it road trip worthy and off-road capable. Down the road I’ll go solid axle in the front but I don’t think I’ll be going full crawler because I want to drive on the freeway and hit the dirt road.

It is the XLS! It’s the

It is the SOHC 4.0L V6!

For now just making it road trip worthy and off-road capable. Down the road I’ll go solid axle in the front but I don’t think I’ll be going full crawler because I want to drive on the freeway and hit the dirt road.
Nice! Looking forward to the build! Need to start yourself a build log for us to follow. Just remember to keep an eye on that motor, that's what threw mine under the bus, timing chains finally hit their time.

Back