First Oil change 2012 XLT Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Oil change 2012 XLT Explorer

Thanks for the great pictures, jreask! :D I’m glad your oil change was so effortless.

HI Cory, Could you take a close look at the oil pan pic that I posted? It almost looks like the metal might fail prematurely. Let me know what you think. I have never seen a pan look alligatored like that.

JOE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HI Cory, Could you take a close look at the oil pan pic that I posted? It almost looks like the metal might fail prematurely. Let me know what you think. I have never seen a pan look alligatored like that.

JOE
Joe,

Most exposed metals are meant to allow a certain amount/depth of corrosion. This is likely the surface finish responding to the elements as it’s designed. If you’re concerned, I recommend showing the dealer. :)

Cory

Looked under mine and the filter was in plain view. No cover concealing it at all. Haven't had an oil change yet, so it wasn't left off.

^ Maybe it fell off on its own, or is sitting in a parts bin at the factory...

Looked under mine and the filter was in plain view. No cover concealing it at all. Haven't had an oil change yet, so it wasn't left off.

I think the cover is only on vehicles with towing package? It protects the oil cooler lines I assume.

What you are talking about is the air intake that is used to cool the back part of the engine block near the transmission. It is only installed on vehicles that have the factory tow package.

Peter

I think the cover is only on vehicles with towing package? It protects the oil cooler lines I assume.
Yea, that's my thought as well ...... No oil change yet, so it wasn't removed and left off. ;)

Slight Improvement in FE after first oil change ?

my Red Candy 2012 XLT FWD 3.5 V6 currently has crossed 700 odd miles in the 3 weeks that I've had her and am contemplating to get the first oil change done around the 1000 mile mark.

Have any of you noticed a slight increase in fuel economy after the first oil change ?

~A

Back