First Oil Change Didn't Go As Planned | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Oil Change Didn't Go As Planned

Tony407

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
After changing the oil in my '15 Sport the other day, I was about ready to pat myself on the back and thank Ford for one of the easiest oil changes ever. Then I started putting the cooling shield back on...

CoolingShield3_zps446d78c6.jpg

When I removed the shield I had to use pliers to get these little bolts out. Whoever installed them at the factory must have cross-threaded them. So when I went to put everything back together I was S.O.L. Also destroyed all the blue spring-clips that these bolts threaded into.

I didn't want the hassle of having to explain/convince the dealership that what happened wasn't my fault and that they probably needed to fix it, so I just bought some bolts, washers, and star lock washers at Home Depot and fixed it myself. Had to get just the right combo that would fit into the holes in the chassis without falling back out (kind of a pain) but everything went back together just fine. I used a hacksaw to cut slots into the bottom of the bolts in case I needed to use a flat head screwdriver to keep them from turning when I tightened the nuts, but it turned out it wasn't necessary since the star lock washers held everything in place.

Hope no one else had this issue! But if you do, there's always hope!!!

CoolingShield2_zps08fd7011.jpg

CoolingShield1_zps9f82f86b.jpg

Had to use a drill bit to enlarge the hole on the bigger washer.

CoolingShield4_zpsca5bc126.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any info on the type of screw that you used?

Peter

Hey, Ford Engineers. Check this out. LMAO.......... Only problem now is, when you hit the scoop off something it's gonna make some damage. Be careful out there. I hit a pothole and it ripped my scoop off. With those bolts on there it'll probably tear the scoop apart and maybe bend something

Unfortunately they don't look at the Forums.

Peter

When I did my 1st oil change I found that the aft fastener on mine didn't line up at all and they just forced it to fit. I ended up bending the metal bracket to make it fit correctly with no stress on it, then all of the camlocks went right in.

I have no clue as to why anyone, in this day and age, would do their own oil change. By the time you buy oil, and filter, have your time in the change, and then have to take your used oil to an oil recycling place (unless you still dump it down the drain like we did in the '60s and '70s), you have way more in it than if you had it done.

The Quick Lane here, which is part of the Ford Dealership, charges $29.95 for "The Works" where they change the oil, rotate the tires, and do the vehicle inspection. I can't jack up my car for $29.95, and I don't have the hassle of breaking things off and spilling hot oil all over my garage floor!

there is a certain satisfaction to doing things yourself that some people enjoy,,

it's not about the cost, it's about doing the job and liking it,,

I have no clue as to why anyone, in this day and age, would do their own oil change. By the time you buy oil, and filter, have your time in the change, and then have to take your used oil to an oil recycling place (unless you still dump it down the drain like we did in the '60s and '70s), you have way more in it than if you had it done.

The Quick Lane here, which is part of the Ford Dealership, charges $29.95 for "The Works" where they change the oil, rotate the tires, and do the vehicle inspection. I can't jack up my car for $29.95, and I don't have the hassle of breaking things off and spilling hot oil all over my garage floor!

I have access to a shop with a lift and waste oil disposal. Anyway, I like to get a look underneath of the vehicle I'm driving to make sure all is ok. I had my 12 Shelby up on the lift when new and found a wire harness hanging down on the exhaust. It hadn't burned thru the insulation yet, so I tied it up and out of the way. You'll never know what you'll find under a new car these days...

I agree, it is not about the cost, its about knowing it is done right. The dealers use novice techs to do oil changes and most do not care and some do not know what they are doing. The tech that changed my MKT oil did not tighten the two rear aero pan bolts and the shield started dragging on the way home. They also used the wrong oil weight. You have to read every invoice to make sure they don't screw something up. The oil fill cap says what oil to use, but I guess the tech can't read.

Also, for the cost of the works, you can use full synthetic oil that is better than the Motorcraft semi synthetic.

Ive been buying Mobil 1 synthetic at Walmat (filter from amazon) and my local quick lube will do the labor for $15 and I can stand their and watch. That to me beats pulling about the jack stands, oil disposal, and I can atleast make sure they are using the correct oil.

I have no clue as to why anyone, in this day and age, would do their own oil change.

I hear that from a lot of folks but I like doing it myself. Changing oil on the new Explorer doesn't require jack stands, so the process is failrly easy. I take my used oil & filters to the local O'reilly's for disposal in their recycle oil storage tank. I've heard of too many fast-lube type oil changes that have gone bad. I know mine is done right.

In the past I've always taken my cars to Oil Can Henry's because I can watch everything. But it's pretty easy at home (except this time). And my curbside garbage company takes old oil so I just fill up the old containers and put them by the garbage can on garbage day.

Tony

My garbage company takes used oil too, so the disposal thing is a non-issue.

I keep hearing people quote really low prices, but they never mention whether that price is for a standard oil change. With a quality filter and full synthetic oil, that's about your base price. As mentioned, many shops will charge less than $20 and take your oil and filter and install it for you. Still, you have to have an appointment or wait in a line, and then they still take 30 minutes. Add in the time to get checked out, make a trip there and back, and you're talking about an hour of your time.

If I change the oil in my garage, I take less than an hour of my time, and don't have to get the service during business hours. My garage also gets tidied, I keep $20 in my wallet, I know my car was serviced well, and (best of all) my wife thinks I'm all manly. Its a chore I really don't mind doing, and on the Explorer its super easy to do. I had literally never worked on cars until I was an adult, living on my own, but anyone can change their own oil. Like having your house cleaned, or your yard mowed, you're free to pay someone to do it, but don't believe the hype that the dealers/lube shops have sold about them being better or cheaper.

Edit: Tony those air duct bolts are a pain in the ass. One of them worked its way out and let the front of the air duct fall while I was driving. Of course this caused the duct to catch and rip itself to pieces. It also tore out the rear blue spring clip the rear bolt screws in to. Since I was in a hurry to leave on a trip and didn't have time to have it serviced, I just had my dealer parts department order me a new air duct. It cost $65, and I need to go back to the service department and get that covered under warranty. The new air duct is now bolted in, and has a couple of zip ties (because I'm classy) for extra protection if the bolts come out again.

Back