First oil change for my explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First oil change for my explorer

Russell707

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer limited
hello guys. I bought my explorer limited about 2 months ago. It’s come to that time for a oil change. I have the 2.0 ecoboost. Can you guys help me with which oil do I need and how many quarts? Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

9576A932-A17B-4B7F-AD78-0BE3C77DA029.jpeg
5w30, 5.7 quarts with filter. I’d go full synthetic of whatever is on sale, and a Motorcraft, or Wix filter.

hello guys. I bought my explorer limited about 2 months ago. It’s come to that time for a oil change. I have the 2.0 ecoboost. Can you guys help me with which oil do I need and how many quarts? Thanks guys
Welcome to the Forum Russell.:wave:
All that info is available in your Owner's Manual. I suggest that you read through it as it has a lot of info in it. More than a person can absorb in one reading. You can also download a copy; 2015 Ford Explorer Owner Manuals & Warranties | Official Ford Owner Site
I'm guessing that you are in the U.S. Canadian Explorers come with regular premium (non synthetic) as a recommended oil. That's all I've used in my vehicles but a synthetic blend of a full synthetic surely won't hurt.

Peter

For as often as I change oil I don’t see that much benefit. It takes a single wrench to change, and I don’t need the extra risk of something hanging out of my oil pan.

As long as you use a major brand oil in the correct basis weight you will be fine. Synthetic, semi synthetic or conventional oil will provide the necessary protection. There is little evidence other than anecdotal that synthetic is better. I use Mobil 1, pick it up when it is on sale at Costco or Walmart has a five quart jug for under $23, that's only $10 more than conventional. I change oil in my Explorer twice a year so for $20 why not.

Anyone use one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VCD7U...colid=DHG4S5SEBLH6&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have it on my current car and it makes oil changes so much easier. It doesn't leak, and it sits above a frame crossmember so it isn't exposed and can't be torn off.

Saves having to dig the bolt out of the oil change box :)

I have been running one on my Ford diesel for over 160,000 miles and over rougher country than the Explorer will ever see with zero problems. If you are worried about it hanging down to low remember that the Explorers drain plug comes out of the back of the pan and not from the bottom. The nicer thing about the Fumoto Valve is that with the hose nipple you can direct it directly into a bottle to catch the oil instead of having it shoot backwards and get all over the transmission mounts.

Back