First Post Hello and Cam Timing Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Post Hello and Cam Timing Question

johnnybad1

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer
Hello the Explorer Forum members - I'm a long time lurker and decided to finally post up a question. (97 Eddie Bauer 4x4 SOHC with 160,000 miles.)

Thanks to the great info on this site I was able to replace my front chain tensioner after it exploded on my way home from work last week. The job went OK but I have a timing problem since I think when the tensioner-cartridge exploded, the chain jammed up for an instant and jumped a few teeth because the whole 4-5-6 bank of cylinders is not firing.

My plan is to TDC the motor and then set the drivers-side-cam back to proper position.

Without using the timing tools, the cam needs to be rotated such that the notches on the end of the cam are parallel to the top of the head.

In order to move the cam I figure I can remove the cam chain tensioner to get enough slack in the chain to rotate the cam assembly.

I know there is a big procedure and a timing tool kit but in my case, the job would be similar to the procedure for repacing a head gasket....only one cam would need to be timed in relation to TDC.

Does anyone have any insight into timing one cam.

Thanks

Back