first post in a long time | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

first post in a long time

I wanted to share a picture...this is a jeep wrangler I looked at buying back before I decided on my 05 Explorer. Look at the cold air intake. Too big of a pipe so they just duct taped it :thumbsup: That is something I would never do. I'm going to try to find an adapter that decreases in size to make sure that air intake fits good.
796(14).jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try finding a reducer like this:
31L9nZ8op1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As far as gas mileage I'm seeing a solid 2-3mpg. Before I installed the new intake I took my truck down a straight road and set the cruise at 60mph and I was getting 19mpg. This was with a K&N drop-in filter as well. After the new intake I went down the same road and set the coast at 60mph again and this time I was hittin 24mpg but the air was also a bit cooler at the time. Around town, going slower speeds I see a smaller amount of gains at higher rpms. But I have ran a full tank, mostly city and saw about a 3mpg gain. This is all judged off my Scanguage II which has been properly calibrated for tire, tank, and engine size. Hopefully I will be making a long highway trip soon so I can see highway mileage.

Also tonight I turned the MAF so it wouldnt be an eyesore, hopefully it wont hinder performance lol:
20100808210201.jpg

crappy pic again, my apologies

next step is fiberglassing a heatshield!!

--I still like your intake (with the MAF and Cone Filter), but not sure if I want to remove my airbox. I've done the air box mod, just need to drop in the K&N filter. I think this new tubing, and the airbox mod, I may be able to reach higher mpgs too.

--I'll take a look for a reducer. I know the tubing is 3" and I think the MAF on the airbox is about 4". I need to trim some of that piping near the airbox. I may be a bit too cautious with the airbox, but I don't want to shell out the money for a new MAF sensor. I was quoted by ford, $280 for a new MAF.

--Looking online I found a reducer at Checkers Auto Parts. I'll be making a trip there tomorrow. Hopefully I get the part I need. As for my intake, its doing no good to have a old style paper filter in there.

Good to see you're up in the air some more, now go get some pics of her all dirty:D

haha this is the most dirt shes seen a loooooong while:

IMG_0032.jpg

--Looking online I found a reducer at Checkers Auto Parts. I'll be making a trip there tomorrow. Hopefully I get the part I need. As for my intake, its doing no good to have a old style paper filter in there.

I have my K&N drop-in filter laying here in my garage taking up space...
Needs a new home!!

I have my K&N drop-in filter laying here in my garage taking up space...
Needs a new home!!

If you're willing to sell it, I'm willing to buy it. What you want for it?

just cover shipping and its yours

I'll take it. Just give me the total price. How you want me to pay for it? Paypal, etc?

sent ya a pm

alright. you get the pm with my address?

sure did.
glad to see the filter is gonna get put to use.

Alright. Make sure to send both a pm and email message. Since I not be on the forums at the time I will know to get the money sent asap. If you want I can pm you my email address.

Update on intake: Finished

So I finished my intake. What a difference in power even with a paper filter! I noticed I do have better gas mileage. What ended up happening was the piping that joined the airbox was cut down about 1" and then I bought a coupler, cut that down, and fitted in with a pipe clamp on the air box and the intake piping. Next thing needing to be done: k&n filter dropped in there.
So here's some pictures:
intakefinished3.jpg

intakefinished2.jpg

intakefinished1.jpg

Make sure to put the black insert back in to create a tight seal between the airbox and coupler
intakeproblemsolvedcopy.jpg

I just noticed you are from CO! I was there all last week, went to Estes park and stayed at the Stanely Hotel for two nights, went horseback riding up the mountains, then went to see the Garden of the Gods and it rained like no tomorrow as soon as we arrived and lastly went white water rafting in Canyon Springs. I really loved how cool the weather was, but had to catch my breath a few times because of the thinner air. Coming back to Kansas is very boring(and HOT/108 today) after spending time in the mountains for a week.

I also need to get on the CAI bandwagon, need to get this whip moving faster:D

Limited, If you went to Estes Park you drove right past me! Im right at the front range of the mountains. Next time let me know when you're coming and we'll hit up some trails in the EX.

Miller...
What kind of a lift you got on your X?
You about have the lift hieght I want to get installed on my X.

3" body and 2.5" Truxx strut spacers

That thing looks great! Nice work! :cool:

3" body and 2.5" Truxx strut spacers

Thanks. I'll have to see if I can find myself a lift for my X.
I was thinking of going for a Rancho Quicklift. That lift Good or bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not 100%, but dont the rancho quick lifts tend to sag ?

Back