NIP

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Renesse, ZLD, The Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Guys, need some help here.

Bought a 2015 3.5L Sport and the PTU is leaking a little. So, off to search for info on what to do. I live in The Netherlands so no Ford dealership to be found who has seen an Explorer in the first place, no help at all.
So one question remains, what revision PTU to order for a complete replacement? Or should i start with seals and if so , what are the right numbers to order?

I know there are a lot of posts about this but they are not clear enough for me to choose the right unit. I must be sure because shipping costs me a leg en returning the thing if not right i a real hassle.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not pull the unit and swap out the seals?

Why not pull the unit and swap out the seals?
That's my preferred way to go. But how big a chance is it that i need to replace the unit in a few more months. Do the seals fail often or is it a sign of something more serious?

I think typically the oil gets cooked into a grease like substance.

A new unit in the US is around $900 or less. If I went through all the trouble to pull it out and I know their track history, I'd replace it.

Ive done 2 ptu's (08 MKZ, 09 CX9) and one rear carrier(13 Edge) in the past month at my shop and none of them were optional repairs. They had to be replaced. The CX9 had 209k and was making crazy noises just pulling into the shop and once removed I found the case was cracked from it blowing up on the inside.

I think typically the oil gets cooked into a grease like substance.
Leaking oil look s good at this time. It s more about the work itself. Do i need to get the PTU from the car to replace the seals?

Leaking oil look s good at this time. It s more about the work itself. Do i need to get the PTU from the car to replace the seals?
I wouldn’t know, I’ve never replaced one. I’m sure someone here will know for certain.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Guys, need some help here.

Bought a 2015 3.5L Sport and the PTU is leaking a little. So, off to search for info on what to do. I live in The Netherlands so no Ford dealership to be found who has seen an Explorer in the first place, no help at all.
So one question remains, what revision PTU to order for a complete replacement? Or should i start with seals and if so , what are the right numbers to order?

I know there are a lot of posts about this but they are not clear enough for me to choose the right unit. I must be sure because shipping costs me a leg en returning the thing if not right i a real hassle.

Thanks!
You could remove it, crack it open to see what shape it is in, clean it, put the seal in if everything checks out and reinstall it. It it is roasted inside then buy a new unit. There are many YouTube videos showing how to remove, repair and/or replace the PTUs in Ford vehicles.

You could remove it, crack it open to see what shape it is in, clean it, put the seal in if everything checks out and reinstall it. It it is roasted inside then buy a new unit. There are many YouTube videos showing how to remove, repair and/or replace the PTUs in Ford vehicles.
Sounds like a plan, thanks. Back to my original question: what part number should i order. Going through al lot of threads i see 3 different revisions. The car ia 2015 Explorer Sport. Any help on that is very much appreciated. As stated before, no help available over here in The Netherlands.

Speaking of PTU's...my wife's 2016 Platinum has 156K miles on it currently. Only fluids that have been changed are the engine oil and the coolant. Is it wise to change the PTU oil at this point or should I leave it alone?

when I bought my 2017 new, the PTU was leaking almost right away. Had it repaired, seals replaced that is, and have not experienced any issues since. PTU still in good shape. Hopefully you’ll be okay if you can get someone to make the fix and refill the PTU…

Speaking of PTU's...my wife's 2016 Platinum has 156K miles on it currently. Only fluids that have been changed are the engine oil and the coolant. Is it wise to change the PTU oil at this point or should I leave it alone?
Change it.

PTUs are not like transmissions in that there are no complicated controls. Changing the fluid in a PTU is more like changing differential fluid in many ways. I would change it 2-3 times with a 3k-5k mileage gap between changes to try and flush it out. If nothing comes out then it probably isn't going to be long before it needs replaced. I have seen them where the fluid turns to grease and won't even run out of the hole.

Sounds like a plan, thanks. Back to my original question: what part number should i order. Going through al lot of threads i see 3 different revisions. The car ia 2015 Explorer Sport. Any help on that is very much appreciated. As stated before, no help available over here in The Netherlands.
You might want to call a Ford dealer in the USA to determine the part number.

If you look up the parts on a Ford dealer website it should show you the latest revision available for your model.

If you look up the parts on a Ford dealer website it should show you the latest revision available for your model.
I did but two numbers come up, both for my 2015 Expl Sport: DT4Z-7251-G and DG1Z-7251-F. The G at the end does however not guarantee the newest revision. In all threads the F version comes up as the best choice. What to do.

I did but two numbers come up, both for my 2015 Expl Sport: DT4Z-7251-G and DG1Z-7251-F. The G at the end does however not guarantee the newest revision. In all threads the F version comes up as the best choice. What to do.
Have you tried running your VIN for both those parts? You can use this site if you wish;. Just add the item to your card and then check using the VIN. You can then delete the cart.
Also, check out this article by one of our more knowledgeable members; Yet another PTU thread...some history

"Essentially there are really only 2 PTUs we should be talking about when taking about 2010-2019 model years.
- The one with the cooler (found on towing package Explorers, Performance Pack SHO, Explorer Sports, PIU/PIS, etc). The latest Ford PN is DG1Z-7251-F.
- The one without the cooler (found on all others not mentioned above). The latest Ford PN is DT4Z-7251-G."

ik hoop dat dat helpt

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried running your VIN for both those parts? You can use this site if you wish;. Just add the item to your card and then check using the VIN. You can then delete the cart.
Also, check out this article by one of our more knowledgeable members; Yet another PTU thread...some history

"Essentially there are really only 2 PTUs we should be talking about when taking about 2010-2019 model years.
- The one with the cooler (found on towing package Explorers, Performance Pack SHO, Explorer Sports, PIU/PIS, etc). The latest Ford PN is DG1Z-7251-F.
- The one without the cooler (found on all others not mentioned above). The latest Ford PN is DT4Z-7251-G."

ik hoop dat dat helpt

Peter
Thanks! I do have a Sport edition so the F version should be the right thing. Now off to find the best price on this unit and on shipping to Europe.

Back