First Time Buyer Questions - 2000 XLS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Time Buyer Questions - 2000 XLS

zumer92

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Looking for something!
Hi all!

I'm looking at purchasing a 2000 Explorer XLS I found on Craigslist. The seller doesn't have a lot of info on the car, she says her son bought it then left it for her to sell when he went on a church mission. Here's what I know:

• Mileage is at 170500
  • Engine is 4.0L V6 FI SOHC according to CarFax.
  • Looking at the CarFax report, it looks like this is the fourth owner
  • She says "when it hasn't been started for a few days it has trouble idling until it is warmed up. Then it is fine."
  • Her son drove it across the state a few times and didn't have any problems.
  • I'm waiting for more pictures, but the body looks clean from what I've seen.
  • None of the recalls have been taken care of. I've asked her to please do so before I decide if I want to purchase it or not.

I have no idea what options/packages the car has or doesn't have. If anyone has any suggestions about how to tell, that'd be helpful.

What do you guys think? This is my first time buying a car, let alone an Explorer. Are there any specific tips you would suggest I look out for? Is there anything about the 2000 Explorer XLS I should be aware of, especially at that mileage (KBB says it's above average)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

XLS is the base model. Many folks don't care for the SOHC engine, personally I prefer it. Timing chains are the Achilles heel, so listen for rattling. Ask that the truck not be started until you arrive. If it's 4x4, the magnesium transfer case is a known weak link. Make sure it goes into low range (consult manual for shift procedure). RWD obviously would not have same issues. The transmission is also prone to problems, torque converter & valve body in particular. Ball joints are common wear items. 170K is right about where the repairs come fast & furious. If you are a good mechanic, masochistic, and really really love Explorers you may be pleased.

The engine is no Olds 350 diesel but its up there. I haven't run into a transmission issue with the 5r55X series yet but I'm sure its just a matter of time. I would look elsewhere myself.

XLS is the 'base' trim. In other words, that's the bottom version: no leather seats, no high quality sound, etc. However, your main issue is not the trim but the engine. The 4.0L SOHC has a dubious reliability record, at best. At 170K, if nothing had been done to that engine, it's likely to have leaking intake manifolds (hence the poor idling until it warms up), and perhaps more importantly, bad timing chain guides/tensioners. Repairs may cost more than the truck is worth. Try looking for an Explorer with the 5.0L V8 instead. If you still want to buy the SOHC, have a mechanic who is experienced with those check the engine very carefully.

Hi all!
I'm looking at purchasing a 2000 Explorer XLS I found on Craigslist. The seller doesn't have a lot of info on the car, she says her son bought it then left it for her to sell when he went on a church mission. Here's what I know:

• Mileage is at 170500
  • Engine is 4.0L V6 FI SOHC according to CarFax.
  • Looking at the CarFax report, it looks like this is the fourth owner
  • She says "when it hasn't been started for a few days it has trouble idling until it is warmed up. Then it is fine."
  • Her son drove it across the state a few times and didn't have any problems.
  • I'm waiting for more pictures, but the body looks clean from what I've seen.
  • None of the recalls have been taken care of. I've asked her to please do so before I decide if I want to purchase it or not.

I have no idea what options/packages the car has or doesn't have. If anyone has any suggestions about how to tell, that'd be helpful.

What do you guys think? This is my first time buying a car, let alone an Explorer. Are there any specific tips you would suggest I look out for? Is there anything about the 2000 Explorer XLS I should be aware of, especially at that mileage (KBB says it's above average)?

Any reason thats what your looking for? Personally I would look for the 5.0 with its stouter engine and trans, especially since it sounds like this truck hasn't been taking care of nor any of the recalls in 15 years. Funny thing is, had two sohc V6 Explorers years ago (sis had one as well), all rwd, but the 5.0 got better city and highway mileage, not alot but still... lol

The SOHC 4.0L engine and the 6 cylinder's auto transmission are the weak links with Gen II Explorers. If you really want one of these vehicles, I suggest you look for a 5.0L V8, RWD if you don't need the AWD. I currently have four 5.0's and we love them. We had one SOHC 4.0L that died (timing chains) and we have another that I consider disposable when something major breaks. I bought a 2000 5.0L XLT last fall for $1500. It has been a super reliable vehicle, but it did need a dozen, or so, minor repairs which I performed myself.

BTW, The rough idle at cold start on the 4.0L SOHC is usually due to the upper intake manifold O-rings leaking. Not that expensive of a repair. Timing chain and transmission repairs quickly exceed the value of these trucks.

The XLS is the least well optioned model, Basic transportation. I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for the best 2000 4.0L SOHC XLS in the world.

I'll echo comments by Koda and 98Exp. My '98 4.0 SOHC has 195k on it and I just had a trans rebuild done - $2K. I would not have done it had the timing chain refit not been done by my dealer some years ago. Also, I had the same rough starting issues you describe, turned out to be upper & lower intake mani gaskets. That, plus a bunch of other stuff has my truck running and looking great, but I am certainly way underwater on it. But I'll run 'er till she completely croaks.

I'd either look for a 5.0 RWD, or if you can get the one your talking about for $1200 or less (especially with the low end XLS trim), go for it. Otherwise, pass.

Thanks for all the great information. I'm definitely not a mechanic by any means - and although I would like to get to that point someday, it's sounding like this probably isn't the best route for me right now, especially given the repairs that it sounds like would need to be done soon.

Someone asked if there was any particular reason I was looking at these - I don't have the biggest budget, and I need something sooner rather than later. I really like Explorers for a multitude of reasons, and the Gen I and II are popping up within my budget. I figure I'd rather get something I actually like than a cheap car I don't actually want.

This might belong in another post - let me know if I should move it, I just didn't want to spam the board - but I'd like your opinions again if possible. I found another 2000, this time an Eddie Bauer at about 180000 miles. AWD (definitely something I'd prefer) and a 5.0 V8. Body is clean. The current owners purchased it specifically to fix it up and sell it. The husband is a retired mechanic, and in the last three months he's replaced the brakes, rebuilt the transmission, and put in a new drive line, stabilizer links, and had a fresh alignment done. From the other comments, it sounds like this is a better bet. Am I on a better track here?

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out!

You're probably on a better track. Read around the forums for common issues. Have you looked at it in person yet? Check if you hear chirping coming from under the hood (camshaft synchronizer) or any ticking under load (exhaust manifolds). Point out any minor rust. These shouldn't be dealbreakers, but leverage towards negotiations. Is the trans shifting smoothly? That would probably scare me away.

It all also depends on what kind of deal you get. You see a wide range of purchase prices on these things. Where are you located?

I wouldn't recommend a 170K+ mi. Explorer as a daily driver for someone who isn't a mechanic and has a limited budget unless you can place high value on cargo hauling and/or 4WD/AWD.

It's going to need more repairs than the average car of the same price, will probably need some regular maintenance/wear items replaced right off the bat, and has relatively poor fuel economy.

These things combined mean it is likely that in fuel and repairs it will cost you at least $600 more than the same price car during the first year of ownership if you drive it a few thousand miles, and that's if nothing major breaks and the tires are good - but of course that's just a shot in the dark generalization since one specimen of any model may be better or worse than average.

I could be wrong about the repairs, it depends a lot on the diligence of the prior owner but in my experience people who buy to fix up and sell a low value vehicle, tend to cut corners, don't take the same care as someone who needs to use it themselves.

On the other hand it's a lot of vehicle for the current market value, but I'd sooner recommend one for someone as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle at this point in time, something you use only when a car won't do the job.

What is your budget like? I mean these are still old high mileage trucks, anything can go wrong and since you said your not mechanically inclined then you'd have to pay a shop. How much is the 5.0 your looking at? Regardless of what they tell you, you should still take it to a shop to go over and see what they say. Did you drive the truck, how did it drive or shift? What backing is he giving? Would suck if you buy it, and one month later the trans blows out.

Zumer,

Keep in mind that many of us here love to work on the Explorers (and thats an understatement), and aren't afraid of picking up an older Ex, mostly because we know what to expect and are ready to deal with it. If you're not mechanically inclined or your budget doesn't allow for some moderate repairs or maintenance, the 4.0 SOHC is probably not a good choice for you right now. That engine is ripe for the timing chain problem with its mileage, and that is a major undertaking to repair, and/or a major expense to get an new engine.

Read through the forum and you'll find the "timing chain issue" is probably the most common thread type. Thats not a coincidence. I've already lost two 4.0 engines because of it.

Not trying to scare you, but being realistic. If all you need is basic A to B transportation for a few years, then I'd look for something a bit more reliable.

If you want an Ex, look for the 5.0L. Much more reliable.

Back