First time home buyer, what do you think. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

First time home buyer, what do you think.

ljancewicz

Reaction score
City, State
Freeland Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport
alum siding

That might be fine on the west coast power wash seal sand clear coat! But do you want to do it every 3 years? Doesn't have to be alum it could be steel plastic is going to crack in the winter just as soon as some little kid finds out he can do it with a ice ball. Trust me it's going to look like a million bucks with the latest metal siding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
ljancewicz--I'm disrespecting your opinion, just trying to see where you are coming from. Why would you want to get rid of the cedar siding? If i had a picture of the rest of the neighborhood then you'd see why the house looks so good, even dirty. Most of the houses in this area were build back in the 50's and 60's, there use to be one on this lot but they tore it down and built this one. This is what i've always imagined my house to look like (close enough for my first home) and i love! But i would like to see where you are coming from, thanks!

kvo--yeah, i'm looking forward to cleaning it so it will look new again, cleaning up i don't mind, because it seems like everything you do increases the value just a little bit. And yeah, sealent is a must. I need to stop by Lowes or something and check out their products for cedar to see what's available. Thanks buddy!
Happy trails!!

kvo

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT (SOHC)
Jot017 -

As long as you're happy with your decision that's all that matters, everyone has an opinion about something that's of value to them. It's your money, your house, and you and your wife will live there, that's what counts.

BTW - you're going to love your local home improvement stores and they are going to love you!!! Oh yeah, the furniture stores too!

Money is going to flow out faster than you can blink!!!

But the best thing is - it's all yours.

Oh - about the mortgage insurance thing, make sure that yours covers 100% of your mortgage amount and not just a percentage of it. There are different types of mortgage insurance, just beware.

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
Mortgage Ins.

Josh,

Im picking up late here, but congrats. Exciting the first house. Couple things though.
Mortgage insurance - does nothing for you- if you can't pay the payments it protects the LENDER ONLY not the loan holder(you)- you get absolutely no benefit from the insurance other than the the lender can make the loan available to a "less qualified " , ie those with smaller amounts of cash to put down, borrower. PMI - private mortgage insurance protects only the lender- like was said before if you can get a loan without it do it, thats $30- 50 month your paying for basically nothing. Now if you dont have the money to put down you have no choice if you want the house. But do realize that the insurance does not benefit you- If the lender you're dealing with told you it does then RUN away as fast as you can from him/her.
Homeowners insurance covers the house if it burns down, someone slips on your walk etc and should be at least as much as the mortgage IMO, replacement cost with no depreciation charges is the best.
If someone is trying to sell you a life insurance policy to cover your mortgage, I would walk, no run form that. Youll do much better with a term life insurance policy that will cover you for much more and will cost much much less. A 1 yr term policy at your age will be nothing - maybe 15 mo for a couple hundred thousand.
KVO had a good point about how long you plan to stay in the house- if you may move in 3-5 years an ARM is the way to go. Also dont pay points if you think your leaving in a few years - take the higher rate.

Just some thoughts - good luck and have fun- and do not let anyone force/hurry you into anything during this process. Realestate agents, mortgage guys and the laywers do these transactions daily and understand them(well most do!) you dont- take your time and understand what your getting- if the people youre working with hurry you or wont or cant answer your questions - then move on. Ive sat around the settlement table at least a dozen times - its a ton of paperwork, but do try and read them and get a short explanation of what your signing if you dont understand.

Get the good faith estimate from the lender and have him go over it with you step by step. - watch for extra fees for documents and prep, ask them specifics on each fee - note the differences at the settlement table and press if you think they are out of line.

Good luck and congratulations

Oh yea- Aluminum Siding! Ahhh I made a great business REMOVING aluminum siding for years in the late 80s and early 90s. Real wood(which you have) brick, or vinyl are the way to go. Just my humble opinion.

Sorry so long hope something in this jumble of words can help you out.

ljancewicz

Reaction score
City, State
Freeland Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport
ALUM SIDING

Whoa, wait a minute, I thought everone was talking about the garage. Ten years you shouldn't need to do anything to your house!!

eskals

Reaction score
City, State
Northville/Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger
Don't go to Lowes! :nono: Go to Home Depot. I would recomend a Behr product, probably the Plus 10. I would go with at least a semi-transparent. The more transparent you go, the more maintence is required. We also sell a Behr wood cleaner/brightner, that is pretty good. I would be careful of pressure washing. Too many people just blast the hell out of the wood destroying the lignin, which is the glue that holds the wood fibers together.

Yep, you will get to know your local Home Center well, as will your Master Card.

For the record, Aluminum siding = yuck. I don't even like vinyl, buts its much better than aluminum.

Eric

Char

Admin's Wife, Explorer Babe
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wittmann
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Callsign
KB7TKQ
I have friends who paint and restore wood for a living and both of them have told us NOT to get Behr. They refuse to use it in their professinal business because the stuff is crap. Sorry, that's what I've been told. My friend who restores wood does it in the midwest. He sent us some of his wood restore and finish products and we were very happy with them. If you want more info let me know.

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
I've used most of the various wood finishing products at one time or another, and I have settled on the Olympic Semi-Solid wood stains. They are oil based and hold up very well on decks and cedar siding. DO NOT use any of the Thompson's Waterseal products, most of them are paraffin based and just coat the wood, they do not soak in.

Whatever product you use on your wood, make sure it is not paraffin or wax based.

If you do clean the cedar with a power washer BE CAREFUL!! Like eskals said, you can seriously damage the wood with a pressure washer if you aren't careful.

One more tidbit. STAY AWAY FROM CITIMORTGAGE!!!! We refinanced our house a year and a half ago to go from an adjustable rate to a fixed rate mortgage, and our new mortgage was promptly bought by CitiMortgage (we had gone through LendingTree and chosen Trinity Mortgage). They royally screwed up our escrow, forgot to pay our insurance (our house was uninsured for a month), forgot to pay our taxes (they ended up paying the penalty), and basically did everything they could not to fix the problem. When we tried to take our escrow back, they wanted us to pay a $300 fee!! I finally had to complain to the PA auditor general to get the problem fixed. We are in the process of refinanacing again with a local bank (same one that had our original mortgage) to get rid of CitiMortgage (plus we get a rate a point lower :) . It's preferrable to have a minimum of a point and half change to refinance, but it's worth it to us to get rid of CitiMortgage). It is in your best interest to use a local bank if you can get a competitive rate. It makes things a whole lot easier to fix if you can walk in and talk to someone in person.

eskals

Reaction score
City, State
Northville/Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger
Originally posted by Char
I have friends who paint and restore wood for a living and both of them have told us NOT to get Behr. They refuse to use it in their professinal business because the stuff is crap. Sorry, that's what I've been told.

I guess I should rephrase my previous statement. Is Behr, the absolute best out there? Probably not. However, if you are going to a Home Center to purchese these products, Behr will be one of the best you can buy there.

Eric

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Well, sorry i couldn't get back earlier, i have been out of town this weekend visiting some friends, but i'm back. I haven't heard anything about the house yet, hopefully tomorrow by noon, i think that's what she told me.

ljancewicz--sorry about the confusion man! If i had the money i think i would do something like that to the garage, but i'm probably just going to end up painting it for now, i'm still in school so things will be slow for a while!

eskals--i don't have a home depot around me yet, but they are building one, so the only option i have is lowes, plus one of my best friends works there and can tell me the best stuff to buy and he'll give me a discount, that's the good thing!

Char&eskals--i haven't even started looking at anything yet, but i will keep that in mind when i am looking, thanks for the input!

kvo--don't remind me about the money thing, i've been trying to not think about it!!!!

Jeff--man, sounds like you got yourself into a mess! I am sticking to a local bank in town through the WV home morgages, they are good to me and my parents used them, so i think i'll be okay, hopefully!

Steve--Thanks for the input man, but i've actually heard the opposite about the PMI, but like you said, i'll have to pay it because there is no way in the world i could come up with 20% down unless i started a charity or something on here, haha. But thanks, i'll check on that and get back to you.

Again, thanks everyone, hopefully tomorrow i can return with some good news, wish me luck!!

Happy trails!!

eskals

Reaction score
City, State
Northville/Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger
Originally posted by Jot017
eskals--i don't have a home depot around me yet, but they are building one, so the only option i have is lowes, plus one of my best friends works there and can tell me the best stuff to buy and he'll give me a discount, that's the good thing!

Wow, 1500 stores and nothing nearby. Geez, its like the exact opposite where I live. There are 3 Home Depots within 5 miles of my house. The closest lowes is about 15 miles away, and it is a rarity in these parts.

Eric

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Well, the news came to me a while ago. Looks like all my time and energy from last week was wasted, we didn't get it. What i don't understand is we put our bid in on friday morning, the other couple accepted the counter offer on sunday night with out some of the repairs that we had listed. Now, if they would have seen ours on friday shouldn't they have taken it. And how would the they other couple have know what repairs we listed because that is our contract and they aren't suppose to know it. I think i was screwed here and i am pissed. I'm not kidding, i haven't been like this for a while. I wouldn't even talk to my fiancee on the phone i had to get off.

I don't know, it's been a rough week already, got the news that my grandpa had a brain hemrage the other day and is about to die so my dad had to fly to AZ to see him this morning and they are giving him a 0% chance making. So i've been in a crummy mood anyways and this just topped it off.

Thanks to everyone for keeping up with this and helping me. All of the info on here was taken into consideration and i will use it then next time i put a bid on a house. So maybe you'll see another thread like this again, or i might just reply to this one, we'll see!

Happy trails!!

Bionc Marsh.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Shelbyville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Mazda Navajo LX
Josh,

That's too bad about the house and terrible about your grandfather!

The thing is about offers is you need to put a clause in them that the offer expires in 24hours (or at least a set time frame, I like 24 hours). The sellers could have told the other buyers or even the realtor, who knows. One thing I have learned is not to get too excited until they hand you the key. Like I stated in an earlier post, I've bought 10 houses. What I didn't say was that I've made offers at least twice as many.

Remember keep things in perspective. Hope things go with your family as good as possible.

Take care,
Rick

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Thanks for your concern Rick, i really appriciate it.

I knew i was getting to excited for this house, but it was my first time doing something like this so i guess that's okay. I've calmed down a little more now. We are actually looking at another house tonight that has a seperate 2 car garage, same sq. ft., and a huge yard and it is out a little from the city, so who knows, i guess i need to keep my pants on (not literally)! Thanks again!

Happy trails!!

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Well, just spent the last 2 hours looking at another house, really liked it, i think?!?! Anyways, nice little 2 car garage seperate, hot tub in back yard all fenced in, all hard wood floors. Ah heck, just take a look at the pictures:

House #2

It looks great from the outside, so does the inside, but something just didn't seem right at all. Come to find out, after i crawled around under the house it is a single wide trailer added onto. Kinda funny but someone has spent a lot of time and money on this place. I mean a lot of money. Very very nice house, i guess you'd call it a house! We liked it, but had mixed emotions about moving into something like that. Don't get me wrong cause i have nothing against trailers, but one that has been added onto like this is almost asking for trouble, what do you think?? Thanks again!

Happy trails!!

eskals

Reaction score
City, State
Northville/Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger
My two cents: I liked the other one better. I would agree, after lookig at the pictures it seems a little strange. Too much hodge podge. Looks like someone spent a lot of time building bookcases out in the garage.

I would stay away from it. I really don't like the mobile home thing. It could be alright, but this is the biggest investment of your life, you don't need to be taking any excess chances. Mobile homes are built poorly to begin with, and to add on to one is a little weird. Too many variables for me, but its really your call. One can only tell so much from pictures alone.

Also, you have a lot of fencing, decking, hot tub, etc. More things to maintain, and more things to go wrong.

BTW, when you link to webshots, make sure you give the link to your public community page. The link you gave expires when you log out. I found the pics by doing a search for Jot017.

Eric

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
eskals--thanks for replying and letting me know how you feel. I'm with you, i like the other one better, but if things would have went right i would have had the other one, but things are done for a reason.

I talked with my fiancee again last night after i put this up and we both have mixed emotions. He dad built their house a couple of years ago and he is really good with this type of stuff so i think everyone might come out this weekend and look at it again so we can get some more opinions. The foundation looked great, they did a great job on that. I couldn't get in the attic cause i didn't have a latter, i'm kinda interested to see how they added that roof on. But i don't know, it does have a lot of stuff to take care of, first things is to get rid of the fur trees in the front yard, i hate those things and you can't even see the road from the front porch!

Who knows, i still have a weird feeling about it, but we'll see, thanks again!

Happy trails!!

edit: I checked my link to webshots and it is public, wonder what was wrong witht that??

Char

Admin's Wife, Explorer Babe
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wittmann
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Callsign
KB7TKQ
It is definitely a beautiful looking home, but I too am weary of mobile homes. If you get any kind of severe weather in your area I would worry even more. Tornadoes, hurricanes and lightening seem to know where mobile homes are. Just my $.02.

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Hey if a everyone gives me their $.02 then that addes up to a dollar over time, haha, sorry that was stupid! But yeah i know what you are saying Char, lucky we don't have tornados much if never nor do we get hurricanes. Lighting does happen not very often. Do think the lighting would still find the trailer even if it is completly covered??

We are going back to look at it today because we still need to see a few things. I want to crawl up in the attic cause i'm dying to see how they did the roof! We were also talking about making the really small room with the BR in it a part of another room and making it the masterbed room and then putting a full size tub in, taking out that wall and making it a closet also, cause that little room is hardley big enough to turn around in. So, we'll see. I'm not sure what we want. I looked through a book that Sandy, the realtor, gave us that is not suppose to be handed out and i only found 4 that i like and the book is 1" thick! I'll let you all know!

Happy trails!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
I'M IN DEBT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE

YES, it finally happened, we bought a house today. The reason i'm so happy is that is the first house that we put a bid on a few weeks ago! The couple that actually won the bidding war had it, but the lady was in the hospital and i guess they just couldn't afford it, so we ended up getting it!!!! Man, i'm so happy and thankful. After looking at the rest of the houses on the market in our area, i wanted this one worse then ever. It isn't offical until monday when we get the rest of the paper work in, but she told us it was ours!! The closing date as of right now will be at the latest May 24th. I can't wait to start working on it and fixing up my garage the way i want it! The grass hasn't been mowed this year and it's pretty tall so i asked her if she was going to hire someone to mow the grass and she said yes so i told her she could hire me, kinda funny that i will be getting paid to mow my own grass for a few weeks, but that's good. I can get the outside looking like i want . I'll be sure and let everyone know how things are going. Thanks everyone for your help and support. Everything you all told me was talked about. I'm sure i'll have questions about home repairs, i know where to come!

Happy trails!!