• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Fisherman catches fish with two mouths

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - This fish didn't have a chance. A rainbow trout pulled out of Holmes Lake last weekend had double the chance to get hooked: It had two mouths.

Clarence Olberding, 57, wasn't just telling a fisherman's fib when he called over another angler to look at the two-mouthed trout. It weighed in at about a pound.

"I reached down and grabbed it to take the hook out, and that's when I noticed that the hook was in the upper mouth and there was another jaw protruding out below," said Olberding.

He said in his 40 years of fishing, he's never seen anything like it.

Don Gabelhouse, head of the fisheries division of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, said a two-mouthed fish was new to him, too.

"It's probably a genetic deformity," he said. "I don't think there's anything wrong with it."

The second mouth didn't appear to be functional, Olberding said. He has plans for the fish, which don't included mounting.

"I'm going to smoke it up and eat it," he said.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 190

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Bill Kemp

Elite Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
Probably a high ranking politician in the fish community. I have never seen better qualifications.

351wExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
wow thats pretty wild. Looks almost like it could be a siamese twin that seperated at the wrong stage or something weird like that. I agree, probably a god fish in the fish kingdom :).

CodePoet

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
reminded me of the alien from...aliens haha

Hehe he'd going to smoke it up then eat...yep, from my indescretions as a youth i'd say thats the right order lol

TheFox88

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
I don't think i woud eat that. I wonder if there is a nuclear power plant close to where he caught it?

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
BeauJ said:
Reminds me of the three eyed fish off of the Simpsons.

That was exactly what i was thinking.

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
Was most likely caused by pollutants such as selenium used as farmland fertilizers.
two headed frogs in my state are very common as are two headed duck chicks in californias central valley, the entire state is a cesspool of contaminants causing lots of animal mutations

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
BeauJ said:

I was gonna say some thing to that effect too.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I would have it analyzed first before eating it. It could have some sort of bacteria that caused this problem. You hear different things like mad cow disease, bird fever/flu, and other stuff that animals have. These things are starting to turn into human diseases, and are sometimes fatal, since they haven't developed a cure for them as of yet. Maybe the Guinness book of world's records, or Ripley's believe it or not might want to enter it into one of their books. The guy who caught it could be famous. He also said that the second mouth is probably not doing anything. If they would dissect it, maybe they could learn something from it.

splodo49

Ejection seat man..
Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT,75 FJ, 05 Cummins
BeauJ said:
haha same thing popped into my head.