Fix 1 thing get another issue: Stalling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fix 1 thing get another issue: Stalling

Wyoguy222

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer
Hey guys! So couple weeks ago had a major coolant leak and replaced intake manifold gaskets along with all the other gaskets that come in the kit! Had a special event to attend 140 miles away the following week, drove 840 miles total that week, no issues with my explorer at all! My thought was AWESOME! Hopefully no more issues. Then last week came....

I was driving down the interstate 75mph and it died, coasted for about 5 seconds and it restarted itself, dropped to 0rpms and back up to normal. Did this 3 times on my 50 mile drive home. Then the next 3 days drove great. Then again died going 75mph but restarted itself. On my trips to deadwood, 50 miles away, going there it runs fine. Coming back it starts acting up, so only after it was driven a distance. Then today, got in my car to come to work and it started fine, but acted up again coming to work. Work is only 15 miles away. First time it died and restarted itself, 2nd time it died, had to pull over and restart. It ALWAYS starts right back up. I checked the engine codes, only one I get is 327 (erg valve) and I have had this code for 10 years.

Anyone have any idea what is going on with this random dying and restarting?
Any input would be awesome!
Replaced in the last month:
Spark plugs
Plug wires
Intake manifold gasket

Replaced fuel filter and fuel pump 2 years ago, approx 18,000 miles driven since.
Regilar oil changes and filter changes, also flushed and filled coolant system after replacing intake gasket.

I'm stumped and it's embarrassing when my car dies during rush hour traffic!
One more thing, fuel pump hums every time I start the engine pretty sure that's not it.

I have always bought Exxon gas my whole life, last week I was on empty and didn't think I would make it to Exxon so got gas at Conoco? Could bad gas cause it to stall like this as I have described?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New code

So started engine and got the following code:

(O,R)
Engine Coolant (ECT) sensor out of range - ECT

But that wouldn't cause my explorer to stall would it?!

Yep
Take a look inside the radiator, I suspect your coolant is low.

Keep in mind when coolant gets too low the temp gauge sender has nothing to read, and the gauge will read in the low-normal range

Checked my coolant and it is full. Also tonight didn't stall at all except for climbing the steep hill heading home. Kept having trouble keeping Rpms up, Rpms would drop to 0 for a couple seconds then it would kick back up and as soon as I reached highway speed of 55mph it would cut out again. Repeat this 4 times climbing this hill, but I never had to stop and start it up, it would just keeping coming back to life on its own. What is going on!?

Once I got up to the top of the hill had no issues the remaining 7 miles.

I think that you might have a loose connection. Check the connections and vacuum lines on all the parts you removed to do your gaskets.

So um....easiest fix ever! I replaced the fuel filter today and have had no issues since. I turned the old filter upside down to drain it in a bottle, nothing would come out. I shook it around and then the gas came streaming out. There was a chunk of something inside the filter blocking flow!

Okay not fixed....noticed with a full tank problem disappears. 1/2 tank or less problem returns. Could that be fuel pump? Last time my fuel pump went out it would die and NOT restart for 5-10 min. My vehicle dies but starts right back up, and ONLY going up hill does it die.

It might be your have junk in the gas tank or the pre filter screen on the pump has failed. This only happens on a hill ? Going up or down ?

Going up, but for the first time today it stalled for a quick second on flat surface. Then stalled several times up the off ramp off the interstate. Filled it up from just above half tank to full, no more stalling...till the gas gets lower anyway...

Check your fuel pressure at the rails and see if it seems normal. If you had a big chunk of something in the fuel filter, I can only imagine what the prescreen looks like in the tank.

Could be fuel pump. Many people don't know this but gasoline also acts as a lubricant to your fuel pump and that's why sometimes they die when people run on fumes or low tanks of gas and wonder why there fuel pump dies.

I have another question, when this problem developed I also went from 18mpg to 25mpg for fuel! Why!?!?!? I'm not complaining but that is weird!

Sensors out of range

I kinda have the same issue. Changed timing cover gasket, water pump, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, thermostat, upper intake gasket, crank position sensor. It ran before all that. Now it starts, revs to 3k and immediately dies. Throws codes 112-intake air temp sensor circuit grounded or above 245 degrees, 114-intake air temp out of self test range, 116-coolant temp sensor out of self test range, 122-throttle position sensor below min voltage, and 157-mass air flow below min voltage All KOEO because it doesnt run long enough to read the others. Any help is appreciated!!
Mine is a 92 X 4.0 OHV

Back