Fix-A-Flat

Digitalgp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘15 XLT
I am very meticulous about the air in my tires. Since the temperatures plummeted these past couple weeks I noticed that I have been loosing air from 3 out of 4 tires. The one front tire I can live with, its mainly with the two rear tires. From the old soapy water test I determined the air is seeping out of the rims and needs bead sealer. Brought it to a trusted shop they determined my tires are at 6/32 of wear which are still good for a little while, but they didn't want to go through the hassle of dismounting and rebalancing to apply bead sealer to a tire that old.

I was wondering if its worth bothering with fix-a-flat to buy me some time? I've never used it personally and I know its generally not liked because it wreaks havoc on the tires and making them unrepairable down the road. My main concern is if would it cause issues with the rim or tpms sensor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO if you put fix-a-flat in your tires you'll have a mess - I wouldn't do it. The rims should be cleaned thoroughly especially where the bead seats any time new tires are being mounted. The a little liquid soap is sprayed on the tire in that area to lubricate things when the tire is mounted and to help make a strong, clean seal. The best solution is to have the tires that are leaking dismounted, the rims buffed clean then cleaned with soap and water, then remount the tires and verify the leak has stopped at that time. A second solution is to put a product called Ride-On-Auto into all 4 of your tires. Unless there is a leak, the product stays liquid and just rolls around inside the tire and doesn't make a mess. If there is a leak, the product will seal up the leak as you drive. What ever isn't used to seal that leak continues to roll around inside the tire and will seal any future leaks you may get down the road. Ride-On was developed for Motorcycle use years ago and it works well, I have used it on my own Motorcycles over the years and saved myself a few flat tires. I have never used it in car tires before but the Ride-On-Auto is made specifically for vehicles like ours and I bet it works great.

I’d never use fix-a-flat. Most slime style products won’t work on a bead leak, as they are always being flung to the tread portion of the tire.

As mentioned, your tires need dismounted, and the rims likely need cleaned. How old are the tires?

I don't recall ever seeing that ride-on stuff, but I am curious about it especially if it would cause any issues with the tpms. Also if it would just fling out to the tread portion and not help with the bead seal due to centrifical force

Mbrooks440, What your saying does make sense. Like I said in the original post I am at 6/32 wear and these are the same tires I bought the truck with 2 years ago.

I think what Mbrooks is asking is how old the tires are because tires have a expiration date and it may just be time to get new tires even if you have 6/32 left. IMO its not a good idea to use any type of tire sealant on modern vehicles with tpms even if it says its safe for tpms sensors. It could end up costing more than just a new set of tires or having a shop fix it.

Yeah, when the rubber ages it hardens and doesn’t seal as well.

The manufacturer date is 3315. They aren't that old, but they are Goodyear Assurence tires. I am not a big fan of Goodyear tires lol. I'm just going to go back to my original plan and invest in a new portable air compressor for the time being. The one I have barely works anymore.

I’ve got one that is also a light, USB charger, power inverter and jump start. It’ll run without being plugged in. $80 at Lowe’s. Also has a light and USB.

I’ve also got a slime tire compressor that came with a plug kit. Was $30 at Walmart. Both I’d highly recommend.

If you are the paying customer, I'm curious why the shop wouldn't take care of cleaning and buffing the bead seal area just because the tread is down 6/32. If the customer will pay for, acknowledge it may not completely fix the issue, why wouldn't they do it? Sounds like the shop just thought they were too much of a bother...

Oh, and a big no on the tire sealer. Just makes a mess...

I have one of those jump box combo units like you got from lowes. Mine is a Diehard. The compressor still runs but it's not really pumping much air out of it anymore and just automatically shuts off after awhile. The rest of it still works great.

Idk maybe I just need to take it to a tire place and see what they think. The tires still look like they have plenty of tread left. I'd do it myself if I still had access to a tire machine.

sealer is only a mess to the person changing the tire, I stopped using it after I bought my harbor freight tire changer but when winter comes I still use slime if weather does not permit me to look at an issue but when ever I replace a tire I brush on slime on both the tire and the rim before seating the bead

I have one of those jump box combo units like you got from lowes. Mine is a Diehard. The compressor still runs but it's not really pumping much air out of it anymore and just automatically shuts off after awhile. The rest of it still works great.

Idk maybe I just need to take it to a tire place and see what they think. The tires still look like they have plenty of tread left. I'd do it myself if I still had access to a tire machine.

Any reputable tire shop will do this for you. Any Walmart that does tires and oil changes will do it. Just make sure they understand that you want each tire bubble leak tested after the repair is done and before they remount it on the vehicle.

Back