Fix CD player or just buy a new one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fix CD player or just buy a new one?

Deadflush

Reaction score
City, State
Westhope, North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac
My CD player in my 2004 Sport Trac just did a couple days ago what I've read lots of other guys / gals said theirs has done. Wouldn't eject, and I had all 6 disks in it. Took it out of the dash, took the top plate off, unplugged everything, gently pushed on the CD rack, replugged it in, and was able to eject my cd's one at a time. But now it won't accept a CD when I ask it to load.... I thought I read something on another forum about adjusting it somehow, realigning, or resetting the head, or some damn thing :scratch: Anyone know what I could do to fix it, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new unit? Thanks Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem !

just replace it if you have the funds. stock decks suck, and you can get a decent deck for under 100 bucks that will allow you to play music off a flash drive or RW discs and even have aux ports for your iphone/pod/mp3 player.

Yeah, LONO, I was shopping on Ebay for a replacement, and the same deck runs about 100-150 bucks, but that would be one pulled out of another vehicle. And I don't want the same damn problem in another 6 months. :mad: When you say 100 for a deck, does that include a radio as well? I'm also concerned about the plugins matching.:(

get a conversion harness and put in an aftermarket deck, than drive over the stock one,,

problem solved,,

Look on Crutchfield. If you spent over $130 in the past, they included the needed harnesses to hook it up at no additional cost. :thumbsup:

Forget the factory CD-6 changer- when working, they're fine decks. But, they are notoriously weak units.

Look on Crutchfield. If you spent over $130 in the past, they included the needed harnesses to hook it up at no additional cost. :thumbsup:

Forget the factory CD-6 changer- when working, they're fine decks. But, they are notoriously weak units.

I second this... Crutchfield gives you everything u need to install and they mean it when they say call them if you run into trouble.

If you decide to move on from whatever you get from there go to sonicelectronics.com. They are a lot cheaper than Crutchfield but dont have the customer support you get at Crutchfield.

Good Luck!

Just called Crutchfield, and ordered a new Kenwood system. They were really helpful, and i got a discount. cool! thanks everybody for your help! :D

Everyone should ship their broke ass 6cd changers back to Ford. Let them deal with them.

I have the same 6-CD changer that just took a crap. I just installed all my own head unit, amp, and sub while still being able to use the factory amp and sub as well for the mid-bass....Metra 70-5521 is a plug and play mastermind harness for your truck. Everything is right on the money and the harness is only about $9.....

People still use CDs?

I was just using both of my 6-cd (mustang/aviator) until I could throw down on a decent system, of course they both broke. Made me long for a single CD player that actually worked.

I did pack up 30 or so when I went to pick up my aviator. It was kind of nostalgic, now that I can fit 400 or so albums on an SD card.

Not sure if any of the aftermarket units support lossless formats off of removable media yet besides the 2012 JVC nav line which supposedly support FLAC & WAV. MP3 sounds "different" to me on my home system, but in the mobile/portable environment, it's not that big of a deal, the capability of having "more" is worth the trade off.

did you guys have to wire in a resistor for the factory amp when putting in an aftermarket deck?
i bought my truck and the radio worked fine, but after I signed the papers i got home and realized that the 6 disc changer was jammed. I pulled it out and got the cds out. Now I have a johnny cash, totally country, wow music , staind, drop kick murphy's, and one other cd. Thanks PO . lol

Mine has some dubstep cds in it :(

People still use CDs?

Uh....... yeah! I even have some cassettes :eek: . Ever even SEEN an 8-Track? :mattmoon: :mad:

CheechyChong8-tracks.jpg

:D:D

Humph, young'uns! :crazy: :D

I did dubstep 40 years ago. Drove my V-DUB and played STEPpenwolf on 8-TRACKS!

I had a buddy in high school with about a '72 Chevelle. It had an 8 track. But he used an 8 track to cassette adapter. And the cassette that he used was one of those cassette adapters to plug in a CD player that sat on the dash.

It was awesome- bringing several decades worth of audio technology together at once!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a dubstep channel on Pandora and a dubstep folder on a flash drive, no need for CDs.

ya mine ate my CDs a couple years ago then summer came and i ripped it out and put in my Clarion, now i can bluetooth or plug in my flashdrive and listen :)

Back