Fix rattling noise with timing/cam tensioner, Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fix rattling noise with timing/cam tensioner, Explorer

bluebird

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
I read several posts about the noise problem with the Ford Explorer timing chain tensioner. This is sometime referred to as the cam tensioner. From what I understand it is typically the passenger side tensioner which is located near the front of the engine on the passenger side (for a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT V6 SOHC).

What I can't find is the part number I am suppose to order. I checked online and there seems to be one for the front and one for the rear. The front one is the one I want to replace.

One diagram (USallparts) shows it as the Left Hand Timing Chain Tensioner which was part of the 00M12 Recall Kit (which included the Intake Manifold Gaskets). It says YL229E473AA. I called a local Ford dealer and they did not have anything referencing an M12 kit. Maybe it was discontinued.

What is available on USallparts is the Upper Bolt LH Timing Chain Cassette (Bolt Only). I think this is what I want to order, but wanted to verify this is the correct part to possible remove the noise with the engine, as posted by many owners.

Thanks for the help.

This is a follow-up on my repair for the timing chain tensioner and upper intake manifold gaskets. The chain tensioner got rid of the noise from the engine (which sounded like a diesel engine at times. Once I installed the new chain tensioner the engine was quiet. The replacement of the front tensioner was all that was needed. Its not too difficult to replace, but the right wrench size and an extension pipe to get leverage is needed. The upper intake manifold gasket replacement solved the rough idle problem I had when the engine was cold. This occurred in the winter time and would go away once the engine warmed up. I had several mornings where I would have one foot on the gas and one on the brake. Now it runs smooth once I start it up on cold mornings.

Back