fixed hinges but we still need to slam the doors to get them to shut | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fixed hinges but we still need to slam the doors to get them to shut

JOANN2128

Reaction score
City, State
WEST PALM BEACH FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer 4x4
new hing pin and bushings the door is lined up stright but you still need to slam it to get it to shut
WHAT NOW

That sounds like an issue with your door strikers...they might need adjusting, and/or the rubber bushing needs to be replaced. I replaced all of mine about three years ago because of closing problems. The strikers are available in the "Help" accessory collection at your auto parts store.:usa:

I put new upper and lower pins and bushings on mine, and new Ford strikers too. Still have to slam the drivers door to get it to close properly. The pins and bushings help some, and the new striker with the new cushion helped get the latch to open quicker when it's closed.

You may just have to adjust the hinge bolts or brackets so they put the door at a slightly upward angle, rather than just level.

You may also try some spray lube or grease on the latch assembly, which can get less springy over time and require a push rather than snapping open when it hits the striker.

A new latch assembly would be good, but they are pretty involved to install.

They should close easily.
Either the plastic on the striker cracked off or you need to adjust the striker out a bit.
close the door and watch and see if the door has to hit an climb up on the striker ..it shouldn't. the hook on the door should line up with the striker without the door hitting it first.

Back