FIXED - replacing stock trans cooler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FIXED - replacing stock trans cooler?

acabtp

Reaction score
City, State
Morris County, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer AWD
the external trans cooler on my '97 mountaineer (v8 awd 4r70w) is leaking. the one in front of the rad, not inside it.

i've sourced an OEM style replacement, new lines, EFI style clamps, etc... but how do i get at the cooler to swap it out? do i need to take the radiator out? or the grille off? i don't see any way to get my big hands at the bolts holding it on and haven't had much luck searching.

thanks in advance,
tom

Eh, I figured it out... For anyone in the future who finds this via a search, remove the black plastic cover around the hood latch and you can access the last bolt.

Eh, I figured it out... For anyone in the future who finds this via a search, remove the black plastic cover around the hood latch and you can access the last bolt.

Thanks for posting the update... many times things get figured out and we never hear back..

On the 1st gen you pretty much have to pull the grille out. Nice to know you don't need to on the 2nd gen.

~Mark

no problem. i know i always hate it when i find a post where someone asks about something i want to know and then just says "nm i figured it out" without saying what the fix was.

just to make this the full package:
-the 3 bolts holding on the stock cooler have 8mm heads. get 2 from below the bumper and 1 from above after you take off the plastic cover over the headlights/hood latch
-you'll need a total of ~3' of 3/8" ATF cooler hose and some EFI style clamps to replace the short sections between the cooler and the hard lines

:salute:
Tom

Back