Fixed the "lean" but is the solution safe? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixed the "lean" but is the solution safe?

cpumatt

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I recently bought my 2001 Explorer Sport, and soon after taking it home I noticed the truck leaning to the left. When I took it in to Belle Tire for an alignment they told me I needed ball joints, so I took the opportunity and informed them of the lean there. When I picked up my truck the next day they told me the truck was leaning down 1.5 inches to the left, so they tightened the left torsion bar by 1 inch and lowered the right by 0.5 inches.

Is this a safe tactic?

My brother was also informing me that my truck seems to lean a lot when I turn. Any thoughts on that as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many, many threads regarding the "Ranger Lean". From what I've read the best solution is changing the Sport's single leaf packs to multi leafs from four door Explorer's. As for being "safe", torsion bolts are designed to change ride height but toe and camber also changes so alignment should always be checked when tweaking ride height. 1/2"-3/4" inch is considered "normal" for side-to-side differences in the Ford manual.

That's exactly what the torsion bar adjustment is for.

Just check that the lean wasn't coming from your back springs.

Also, even after the ajudstment done by belle tire the truck is a little off level on the right side front end. If I tighten the torsion bar at the front end to raise it up say a 1/2" would I need to pay $60 to get the car realigned?

Did Belle Tire align AFTER doing the torsion twist? Hope so, because they should know that. If yes, they probably leveled it as close as possible. Adjusting the front height ALSO changes the opposite rear corner. In other words, lifting the left front will lower the right rear. In my case 1" in front only changed the rear about half the distance, which was about 1/2". Before doing anything, take measurements on level ground to the top of all the fenders and post them. Great advice I learned here is to mark the threads on the torsion bolts before adjusting. This will allow you to return to the previous height setting if it doesn't work.

Did Belle Tire align AFTER doing the torsion twist? Hope so, because they should know that. If yes, they probably leveled it as close as possible. Adjusting the front height ALSO changes the opposite rear corner. In other words, lifting the left front will lower the right rear. In my case 1" in front only changed the rear about half the distance, which was about 1/2". Take measurements on level ground to the top of all the fenders and post them. Great advice I learned here is to mark the threads on the torsion bolts before adjusting. This will allow you to return to the previous height setting if it doesn't work.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take measurments and possibly make adjustments. Honestly though, you couldn't notice it unless you were looking for it so I may just leave it. I'm just so picky about everything.

Back