fixing oil pan gasket leak @ rear of 4.0l while A4LD is out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fixing oil pan gasket leak @ rear of 4.0l while A4LD is out

saxon

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door
Where to start...?

While removed and installing a used but rebuilt A4LD in my 1991, I noticed oil collecting at the bottom of the V6 oil pan. Brown engine oil, not trans. fluid. I assumed that it was the rear main seal and so pulled the flywheel off the other night (putting a Sonnax crank spacer in, so needed to pull the flywheel regardless; see: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164540).

Was surprised to see that the seal looked great and that the oil appears to be coming from the "u" dip in the rear of the oil pan. I have photos I can email directly to anyone who wants to give out their email address. Was even more surprised to see that in the Haynes manual step one of replacement of the oil pan gasket is "remove engine." Way to go Ford! whatever.

A frugal thought occurred to me. I have no intention of ever pulling that engine unless I'm pulling it to replace it. If I cleaned the rear of the block and oil pan to surgical cleanliness, couldn't I JB Weld along the rear connection of the oil pan to the block to stop the leak? (or use some other surface sealant besides JB Weld?)

Try to retorque the pan bolts if you suspect that the pan gasket is leaking. If this doesn't help, replace the gasket. I'm sure there must be a way of replacing the gasket without removing the entire engine.

This topic has come up before. IIRC there was only one person who claimed to have done it. The problem was snaking the gasket in and around the sump without contaminating it. Try a search.

Another method that does work I've heard of is jacking the engine up without total removal.

Good luck

I thought about jacking up the engine, but he will need a hydraulic hoist to lift it from the top. A floor jack under the pan won't help in this situation, since the pan will have to come out. I think he will also have to disconnect the engine mounts. The exhaust might be a problem too.

Back