Fixing rust spot on rear bumper

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
I'm looking at purchasing a 2000 Explorer Limited AWD. But my one concern is there is about a 1-2" oval rust spot on the rear bumper, looks like the owners before the current owners tagged a pole backing up and chipped the paint. How hard is it to fix that rust spot? The truck is the cream/off white that you could only get on the limited 2nd gens. There are also a couple scuff marks just to the left of the spot that i'd like to get out as well.

Aside from those two blemishes that I can live with if neccessary the truck is immaculate. Even has the backup sensors and Load Leveling suspension.

If it's surface rust, a couple hours with some emory cloth, POR-15 or Naval Jelly, followed by a generous application of rattle-can paint to match will have it camouflaged, but it'll never look truly perfect in your eyes again. It'll be better, but never perfect.

If it's rotted through from the other side, no amount of TLC will make it better. A replacement from JC Whitney or LMC Truck isn't very expensive from what I recall...

-Joe

If it's surface rust, a couple hours with some emory cloth, POR-15 or Naval Jelly, followed by a generous application of rattle-can paint to match will have it camouflaged, but it'll never look truly perfect in your eyes again. It'll be better, but never perfect.

If it's rotted through from the other side, no amount of TLC will make it better. A replacement from JC Whitney or LMC Truck isn't very expensive from what I recall...

-Joe

from what i can tell its just surface rust. A problem with getting a replacement is that it has the parking sensors on it.

Contemplating just getting an estimate from a body shop if i buy it and see how much it's gonna cost to repaint.

Back