Flapping noise when accelerating? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flapping noise when accelerating?

Lot of noise in the video, but right away I can hear that your sway bar end links are shot, and you have an exhaust leak. I don't hear anything else. From the sound of the exhaust leak, it's definitely in front of the catalytic converters most likely at the flange connection which is located on the side of the engine behind the tire/wheel well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so I got under it before it started raining and it looks like it's the CV joint on the driver's side. Here are some pictures. There's oil and goop that sprayed out behind the inner joint. The blowback is covering the front bottom of the vehicle almost to the passenger front wheel. The outer CV joint is clean though. I couldn't get better pictures of the inner CV joint, and the pictures aren't the best, but the shinny stuff is the oil and goop covering what I think is the oil pan and surrounding area.

If sway bar issues and exhaust leaks look like this, let me know, lol. I'm learning as I go.

IMG20220826142119.jpg IMG20220826142106.jpg IMG20220826142125.jpg Screenshot_2022-08-26-14-26-44-14_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg IMG_20220826_144546.jpg

Sounded like end links and exhaust to me. Sound seemed to increase with rpm. And sounded like typical clacking noise from end links as well especially in the beginning of video. Typically cv joint will be most noticeable when making tight turns and more of a popping noise. I have also seen cv joints with no boot go on for over a year and never make a sound. CV axle isn't that hard to change at least. And it doesn't matter if I'm wrong as long as you get it worked out, that's what is all about.

Sounded like end links and exhaust to me. Sound seemed to increase with rpm. And sounded like typical clacking noise from end links as well especially in the beginning of video. Typically cv joint will be most noticeable when making tight turns and more of a popping noise. I have also seen cv joints with no boot go on for over a year and never make a sound. CV axle isn't that hard to change at least. And it doesn't matter if I'm wrong as long as you get it worked out, that's what is all about.
I'm glad you pointed out the sway bar links as I do think those are an issue as well now that you pointed out the sound. It's sounded like that since I got the truck and I guess I no longer hear it and just assumed it was just an old car sound, especially out here in these dirt roads. I will research that some more.

I'm not a mechanic nor do I have the proper tools or hand strength to do these repairs myself, but I like knowing what's going on with my car and knowing exactly what a mechanic is doing to it. I also know how to source parts and save money where I can. I found a mobile mechanic that can come out here to diagnose and the cost of that trip will go towards repairs. If I can get him to come out and have parts already then it's less wasted time for both of us.

I'm glad you pointed out the sway bar links as I do think those are an issue as well now that you pointed out the sound. It's sounded like that since I got the truck and I guess I no longer hear it and just assumed it was just an old car sound, especially out here in these dirt roads. I will research that some more.

I'm not a mechanic nor do I have the proper tools or hand strength to do these repairs myself, but I like knowing what's going on with my car and knowing exactly what a mechanic is doing to it. I also know how to source parts and save money where I can. I found a mobile mechanic that can come out here to diagnose and the cost of that trip will go towards repairs. If I can get him to come out and have parts already then it's less wasted time for both of us.

As we say in medicine, a patient is entitled to have as many diseases as he or she pleases. In other words, we tend to look for one single diagnosis to fit all the symptoms, but you have to be open to the possibility of multiple ailments.

If the Cv is clearly shot, start there. Change it out. Check all heat shields and muffler/hangers for broken welds. Check the sway bar links. She should get quieter with each repair, and diagnosis will get easier the quieter she gets

As we say in medicine, a patient is entitled to have as many diseases as he or she pleases. In other words, we tend to look for one single diagnosis to fit all the symptoms, but you have to be open to the possibility of multiple ailments.

If the Cv is clearly shot, start there. Change it out. Check all heat shields and muffler/hangers for broken welds. Check the sway bar links. She should get quieter with each repair, and diagnosis will get easier the quieter she gets
Yes, I love this approach. Thank you. I really appreciate this forum and all of you.

Not sure if CV is shot or if that is differential oil from leaking diff axle seal. Be sure to get a front left axle seal also.

And rear main seal looks like a normal leaking ford to me.
Still think you have an exhaust leak

Not sure if CV is shot or if that is differential oil from leaking diff axle seal. Be sure to get a front left axle also.

And rear main seal looks like a normal leaking ford to me.
Still think you have an exhaust leak
Ok, I'll have him check that as well. Thank you

I agree
The cv joint looks okay

The wetness COULD BE from a leaky seal on the differential pretty common
But before your mechanic goes replacing the seal first make sure the differential breather tube is clear and not kinked. If the differential cannot breathe through the breathe tube then oil will push out past the seals
However your mechanic will want to follow the wetness up as high as possible to find the leak, could also be power steering or a valve cover....

It sounds like you have:

exhaust leak
need sway bar end links
possible drivers side inner axle seal at the differential

I also live on dirt roads, it can be tough on front end parts. I actually removed all of our front sway bars except on the big trucks we tow with

Back