• Register Today It's free!

Flare/wheel stance question

JDFBear

Reaction score
City, State
Broken Arrow, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
I recently acquired a 99 Explorer Sport. It's not to bad needs some work but what drives me crazy is the tires and the flares The tires are 235/75/15. Of all the sports I see none have the tire so far from the edge of the flare. I'm going to change the tires out eventually. Any ideas why

6B2D1EF4-4989-4D28-96FF-0421A4124F81.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the photo it doesn't look unusual to me. I find it typical for these Sports with the plastic fender flares sticking out so far to look this way.

If that bothers you so much and you're willing to invest the money then, I'd say consider going with different rims and tires.
But as with all cars:
Getting that done and fitted right, might possibly require either some body work to ensure clearance of the tires, or modifications to the suspension, or both.

Bought my 98 Ex Sport new and that is the same look and stance it has.

Dr

You should see the 99 EB flares. It looks comically bad.

It was an attempt at mitigating rusty bodies from stone chips, and keeping the rides cleaner, I assume. You could easily fill the gap, but not with tires alone.

Do those have holes through the fender exterior to mount the flares, or could they just be removed to eliminate the tire-flare difference? I do vaguely recall once seeing some topic somewhere, where a guy welded holes shut, then ground, sanded, primered and painted, but probably not specifically a '99 Explorer Sport.

If removed, you might be able to get a 4 door's rear trim piece to fit in the exposed area between wheel well and bumper.

As GE mentioned, it's not going to be as simple as tires and rims to make up that much difference. There will be clearance issues to make up that much difference unless you use spacers and I'm not a fan of them.

As already said, tires alone are not going to change that. You will need new rims with less negative offset, but watch turning clearances in the front. As you move the wheel outward the arc of turning travel grows.

BTW- it really doesn’t look that bad.

Sounds like it's not worth keeping. Thought it would be a fun lil truck but it's just a joke. Thanks

So someone out there would like to get this vehicle if you price it appropriately. Make sure to mention that you think it's a joke when negotiating price. :)

So someone out there would like to get this vehicle if you price it appropriately. Make sure to mention that you think it's a joke when negotiating price. :)
It was literally called comically bad

Do those have holes through the fender exterior to mount the flares, or could they just be removed to eliminate the tire-flare difference? I do vaguely recall once seeing some topic somewhere, where a guy welded holes shut, then ground, sanded, primered and painted, but probably not specifically a '99 Explorer Sport.

If removed, you might be able to get a 4 door's rear trim piece to fit in the exposed area between wheel well and bumper.

As GE mentioned, it's not going to be as simple as tires and rims to make up that much difference. There will be clearance issues to make up that much difference unless you use spacers and I'm not a fan of them.

Yes they're mounted with a few screws below and clips on the outside that go through holes in the metal fender. If you take those flares off you'll need to do the body work you described to fill the holes and paint the fenders, or you could theoretically mount flares that don't extend so far out, but I don't even know if anyone makes and sells any after market ones, or if fender flares from previous Explorer years would fit.

Pull the flares off and all the running board trim. Looks better and will help not to trap dirt/moisture and rust well openings. Wider tires with correct offset would probably do lots to fill in that space.

Pull the flares off and all the running board trim. Looks better and will help not to trap dirt/moisture and rust well openings. Wider tires with correct offset would probably do lots to fill in that space.
What about all the body work needed? You can’t really go much wider on stick rims.

Maybe that was the flares you got if you had the optional 16" wheels and tires? I had a 2000 sport with 15" wheels and 235/75/15 and I don't remember them looking bad, but the truck and the flares were black.

^ The 16" wheels had 255's (instead of 235's) so only 1cm difference in how far they stick out.

I like them on my E.B. ...but I have 16" wheels... and having a 4 door it's better proportioned. Gives it a bit of off road / Wrangler touch. (Disregard red circle)

AFTER STEP SIDE.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The top vehicle has a 2" lift and 31" (x10.5" wide, probably, so would stick out 0.6" further than your 9.3" wide, 235's) tires. That may be the only difference, since it does have the factory rims still.

You can get that with a torsion twist in front, a 2" shackle lift in the back, and your 15" rims will take 31x10.5R15 tires.

Back