• Register Today It's free!

Flasher from Hypillauto REVIEW!!"

smiley1

Reaction score
City, State
central coast, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8 AWD
I ordered a two program 87 economy and 87 performance for my 98 5.0 AWD (http://www.hypillauto.com/). It currently has 78k miles on the clock. I did not want a 91 performance as I will soon have a 180 mile commute... I dont want to be spoiled and just run the expensive 91. I will use the performance for around town until I go on trips or my commute.

I ordered it on Wednesday and hope to get it on Saturday. I have a trip planned early in the week where I will have about 600 miles of testing to do. :D I will test both the performance and economy on both highway and city to see the differences of the programs and how they react. I will also test the MPG of the performance on a couple hundred miles of highway to see where its at compared to the economy.

Wayne was great to talk to. I almost immediately got a tracking number.

I will post a review as soon as I can get some good testing in. I will post back soon on my first impressions then again after my trip.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone else gonna try Wayne or Doug or are folks waiting for a comparative review of the two flashers?

I suppose Dreamr and I are the guenea pigs here. LOL. Its too bad that we dont have the same motors as this would be easier for folks to get a better idea as far as a comparison goes.

when a 4.0 SOHC owner is ready to compare actual Dyno numbers, no G-tech, no it feels like B.S, get back to me, I got waynes program, and the numbers to prove it.

when a 4.0 SOHC owner is ready to compare actual Dyno numbers, no G-tech, no it feels like B.S, get back to me, I got waynes program, and the numbers to prove it.

Hey bro, what program (ie. performance/economy) and what numbers did you come up with?

I would love to dyno before and after but cant find anyone here to do it and I dont want to remove my front drive shaft. :p

spindlecone said:

Please post the dyno results.

spindlecone said:

If you ever feel inclined to shoot those to me Bill, I will send you a hat :)

smiley1 said:
Hey bro, what program (ie. performance/economy) and what numbers did you come up with?

I would love to dyno before and after but cant find anyone here to do it and I dont want to remove my front drive shaft. :p
Smiley, are plenty of AWD dynos in your local, go here:www.stealth316.com/2-awddynos.htm
best numbers to date are:196.5 RWHP, 228 RWTQ
do not think is much more to be had

spindlecone said:

Post the graph(s), please.

Here ya go Al, note the first pull was at 60 degrees IAT over ambiant, after letting things cool off the second was 30 degrees over, final numbers are corrected to 70Degs F

Attachments

• Mvc-001s.jpg
    Mvc-001s.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 430

What are your base numbers? I have Ranger guys making 190rwhp 209 rwtq without tuning, just simple bolt-on's.

Later Doug904.

Base about a year ago was 173, 190 RWHP is killer with just about 10% drivetrain loss in the ranger, how do they do that?

K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, JBA plug wires, recommended spark plugs...It's a 01' 4.0 SOHC automatic Ranger....

robertdyno2001.jpg

When I tune it I will lean it out a bit and then add the timing and I'm betting we can get well over 200-210rwhp and somewhere in the mid 220's in torque at the wheels.

Gap the plugs right and that helps a great deal on a Ranger, they come from the factory set at .060 in a SOHC. Anyway, we didn't have any programmers with us that day or I would have tuned him then but once he returns home from Iraq, which is supposed to be very soon, we plan on returning.

Thanks, Doug904

Doug904 said:
K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, JBA plug wires, recommended spark plugs...It's a 01' 4.0 SOHC automatic Ranger....

robertdyno2001.jpg

When I tune it I will lean it out a bit and then add the timing and I'm betting we can get well over 200-210rwhp and somewhere in the mid 220's at the wheels.

Gap the plugs right and that helps a great deal on a Ranger, they come from the factory set at .060 in a SOHC. Anyway, we didn't have any programmers with us that day or I would have tuned him then but once he returns home from Iraq, which is supposed to be very soon, we plan on returning.

Thanks, Doug904
Awsome numbers for those mods, pls update when you get him tuned

Hey everyone. I was looking at the hit counter on both of these threads and realizing that they were getting up there. True a lot of it at this point is just conversation, however soon we will both be tuning our vehicles with these two gentlemen’s programming.

Since both are relatively new to us in this capacity I thought the reviews would be nice for all of you. I originally intended on ordering a program from each. But I really didn’t have the extra 50 bucks to try one of Hyp’s programs. I don’t know if Doug wants me discussing our private arrangements, but lets just say he hooked me the **** up, and is a great guy to deal with. Wayne was a good guy to talk with for that matter also!!!

Anyway I am adding links to this thread and my thread for Bamachips to aid those interested in observing the results. I hope no one minds, but I think it is only fair to those who come along a few months from now and do a search. After all, all there was to read about when I was looking was Apten , and that was a terrible experience I had with there complete lack of customer service.

From what I have seen so far either one of these gentlemen are head and shoulders above Apten in this department. Let me re-phrase that : Head, Shoulders, torso, arms, waist, hips, legs, knees, and ankles above Apten in Customer service..

BamaChips Review
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123336

Hypnotic Illusions Chip Review
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123317

On the surface dreamr your Idea would seem workable, in reality it is flawed.
To do an actual comparison of tuner techs you need two programs on one tuner, one Vehical, the same Dyno and Dyno tech, the same day and weather conditions.
There is a ton of varibles, am not saying a comparison would not be fun to do.
Chips and flashers are great power adders without question but the tuner has a fixed set of parameters on an OEM engine that need to be maintained for streetability and the health of your engine.
An increase in H.P. is just one aspect of a sane tune in a N/A engine, to me the biggest benifit is the auto tranny shift mods that can be done.
In conversation with some very knowledegable Engine builders and tuners in my area the general feeling is a flasher or chip tune, done on a N/A 4.0 SOHC OEM engine will be good for a max of 15 H.P.
With the proper tune, Exhaust, and intake mods, one can get 25-30 RWHP over OEM and no more IMO

dreamr said:
I originally intended on ordering a program from each. But I really didn’t have the extra 50 bucks to try one of Hyp’s programs. I don’t know if Doug wants me discussing our private arrangements, but lets just say he hooked me the **** up, and is a great guy to deal with. Wayne was a good guy to talk with for that matter also!!!

True spindlecone, and I am still considering this later, as I am also interested in aquiring the cable and software to download updates from my own computer.

I had talked with Wayne about all of this before Doug came on the board. I sent Wayne an e-mail and apologized for going turncoat, but well I tend to like balance and someone had already pruchased from Wayne.

Currently I think I am more interested in reviewing customer service, reliability, and general performance gains (also can they make my Apten caused CEL disappear???).

If we want to really start looking to who has the best actual gains on the dyno, this would not work as a fair review of skills. To be honest I bet both of these gentleman are extremely capable at their task. Let's just make sure no one's in a class with the post- Brian Apten before we name anybody as being the all powerful tuner ;)

No offense Doug or Wayne. You have both already proven to surpass Apten in your Customer Service. I am just making a point about my intentions for starting my review thread and linking it to this one.

Perhaps we can get one of the more performance oriented people on the site to do this testing.
Let's see, we would need one vehicle that already had baseline dyno #'s
Hopefully they have a flasher already.
A performance program from each vendor
And a dyno for testing.

Anyone interested in doing this ?
Personally for many of us I think we care more about customer service and the seat of the pants dynometer.
But there are many performance nuts too.... just maybe we could bring in some more people for fun. blkmk8 and apten for example. Now I'm starting to think like a magazine. I will shut up now

dreamr
You hit the nail on the head, customer service, thats what brian was all about, thats why he has cult status, that I believe is well deserved.
That being said I think most people believe that tuners are like Alchemists, they can turn lead into Gold.
The tuner market for O.E.M use is not Voodoo, only so much can be done, there will be no all powerfull tuner for N/A OEM engines.
Is sort of like comparing mobil 1 and Royal purple syns, your splitting hairs.
Down the road, if you want to run Nitrous, maybe a S.C.have an engine built, thats where the tuners expertise, experiance and knowledge comes into play, thats the beauty of computer controlled engines, with an OEM, N/A engine, you got what you got.

Smiley, are plenty of AWD dynos in your local, go here:www.stealth316.com/2-awddynos.htm

Thanks for the link. Fremont is the closest and thats not exactly close. I have the flasher ordered so I can revert back to stock programming if I decide to do this at a later time.

Its kind of hard to justify the cost of a dyno when there is no real performance benefit. Granted you have peace of mind of the gains but if you dont have someone to tune its just for pure fun. Unless someone wants to start a dyno donation fund for me, I could get Doug to add a program onto my flasher for a direct comparison ;) . So what if one makes 3 HP more? I think the real world driving is more important for an X unless you are racing the thing and there is no dyno for that review. This is why MPG is the most important thing for me.

You are right. If you dont have the same vehicle, same day, same weather to test the two different programs you cant realy compare the two programs on a common level. My goal here is to give everyone a review of impressions of the customer service and objective realized improvements.

My main goals here are MPG and better shifting, not so much HP. Sure, more power is better but thats why I own a 68 bird and a modified GTP. I will be able to give people an accurate MPG comparison as I have a baseline for my current MPG. Im sure there are plenty of 5.0 owners that would be interested in this aspect of programming.

I suppose it would be cool if dreamr got a program from Wayne and I got one from Doug and then go to the dyno. Then we would have a 5.0 and a 4.0 SOHC comparison. It would be fun I suppose. Anyone want to start a donation fund? :p

Smiley
There are signifcent H.P gains, if your anywhere near my town and are willing to remove your front shaft, come on by, my dyno guys are laid back, ask them how many pulls you get, they say, as many as you want, no big deal.
Anyone that wants to dick around with a flasher, you can borrow mine, pay shipping and have it re-flashed for your program, I have room for two more programs
Edit: as I recall the flasher is VIN locked to my EX, am willing to loan it out but it will have to come back with my exact program

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are signifcent H.P gains, if your anywhere near my town and are willing to remove your front shaft, come on by, my dyno guys are laid back, ask them how many pulls you get, they say, as many as you want, no big deal.
Anyone that wants to dick around with a flasher, you can borrow mine, pay shipping and have it re-flashed for your program, I have room for two more programs
Edit: as I recall the flasher is VIN locked to my EX, am willing to loan it out but it will have to come back with my exact program

I live fairly close. Im in Pacifica, just south of San Francisco. I will be moving back home to Pismo Beach in a few months. I dont really want to remove the drive shaft... I just dont know. I ordered the flasher as well and ordered two programs so I think I have room for another, so thats not a problem. Funds are a big issue with a move coming so soon. Thanks for the offer.

I think there was a misunderstanding in my post of "3 more HP." I was intending to compare the two programs and not a program compared to stock programming. I realize there will be good HP gains.

Thanks for putting the link to both threads. I think this will get very interesting as more testing is done from other members.

Back