• Register Today It's free!

Flasher Relay 1992 EXP

Wicky

Reaction score
City, State
limestone tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
Hello! Our turn signals are not working. Husband bought a relay which has the emergency flashers working but not the turn signals. Are there two different relays--one for the turn signals and one for the emergency flashers? He said it appears there are two spots for relays, and I need to verify that and find out what part number to ask for. If anyone knows anything about this, we would certainly appreciate your assistance. We put a new engine in this old car two years' ago, and it runs like new though it looks pretty worn out (LOL). Thanks Much, Wicky

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do your back up lights work? If not, check fuse #5 in the under dash fuse panel.
Did you replace the round turn signal flasher in the under dash fuse panel?

Hi and thanks for your reply. Yes the backup lights work and yes the round relay has been replaced. However, it appears there is a place for another relay which we think may operate the turn signals. Just not sure about that one. Wicky

I've just checked my Ford diagram for the '92 Explorer, both the turn signal and the 4 way flasher feeds come from the same flasher unit. The turn signals are fed from wire #44 (light blue) and the 4 way flasher feed is via wire #385 (white-red). My suspicion is the turn signal switch.

Flasher Relays

Thanks for info, and we have finally fixed the problem. There are 2 relays for this model, and they are identical. One sits on top of fuse box and the other is inside the box. Connection for the one on the top (turn signals) was loose and when finally tightened up enough works the turn signals. The relay in the box works the emergency flashers. This is a 1992 Ford Explorer Eddy Bauer series, so must be different from the diagram you were studying. In any event, I appreciate you taking time to look this up for us, and am glad I can finally stop hanging my arm out the window everytime a turn is needed! Wicky

Thanks for getting back with the fix. Obviously the Ford 'official' manual leaves a bit to be desired, although it's proven accurate for our XLT. I wonder if the same thing applies to the '94 Limited? I'll have to check on that...

glad I can finally stop hanging my arm out the window everytime a turn is needed! Wicky

Nice to know a driver knows the alternative solution is for turn signals.

I was behind a fool a few days ago pulling a boat with no trailer lights or arm signals. I just about mowed him over. That's because it is very hard to slow down a cement truck from 55 mph in a matter of seconds when a moron makes that kind of decision.

Larry,

Yes the EB and limited versions are just slightly different. I have the diagrams for both and there are minor differences.

Jeremy, very glad you are home safe and sound (I hope) I also hope VA is taking good care of you. My husband is Vietnam vet, and we've had to go to bat with them on more than one occasion to see that he gets what he needs. It is a crying shame that they send you all wherever and then when you make it home alive, they try and sham their way out of taking proper care of you. Hopefully, you have had a different experience with them.

As for hand signals when electric ones don't work, it seems a bit slack to not do something to let other drivers know what the heck you're going to do next. In fact, if someone rear ends a person giving no signal, I believe insurance company considers it the driver in front's fault what with no signals.

Anyway, it is very pleasant talking with you and take care of yourself because you are a HERO for being willing to lay your precious life on the line to protect people like me. Linda and Family

Back