Flashers Work Intermittently | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flashers Work Intermittently

cgrady17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My flashers are working intermittently, sometimes they'll work perfectly but most of the time they'll only flash for a couple to a few times before just stopping. If I'm really lucky I can get a couple weeks of perfect flashers. When they're not working, it doesn't seem anything makes a difference. It's just random as to whether it will flash once, twice, or three times. Also, it may double flash right in a row with no delay between.

It's worth mentioning that the hazard flashers work just fine always, so I'm pretty sure it's not the fuse. I'm thinking it could be the electrical connection for the mast inside the steering column or perhaps the flasher relay.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When my turn signals quit it was a relay in the fuse block under the dashboard.
$8. First guess and it was fixed.

Is this for all years because I did not find a relay in the fuse block under the dash, my fuse box is on the side and there is no relay in it.

Is this for all years because I did not find a relay in the fuse block under the dash, my fuse box is on the side and there is no relay in it.
I have a 2005 Explorer 4WD. You have a 2005 Sport Trac. I'm not that good that I know where your turn signal relay is.

I found the relay! Now it's just a matter of switching to see if it fixes my issue.

I'm certain that is not the proper OEM flasher at that price because even RockAuto is $17.50 for the MOTORCRAFT SF633, OReilly's is $25!

Did you get one of them cheap "electronically controlled" ones or just a off brand? The problem with electronically controlled ones is while they're needed to run LED's they suck in every other way. 1. They keep clicking for 2 seconds after you turn the blinker off. 2. They do not let you know with a fast blink when you have a bulb burned out.

167t5qh.jpg

My recommended bulbs:

Front: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C920CA/ (Natural amber glass will not crack or peel!)

Rear: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006H8PHW/

I'm certain that is not the proper OEM flasher at that price because even RockAuto is $17.50 for the MOTORCRAFT SF633, OReilly's is $25!

Did you get one of them cheap "electronically controlled" ones or just a off brand? The problem with electronically controlled ones is while they're needed to run LED's they suck in every other way. 1. They keep clicking for 2 seconds after you turn the blinker off. 2. They do not let you know with a fast blink when you have a bulb burned out.
I went to Advance Auto parts and let them look it up. I believe I got the same thing that came out. It worked just fine.

I went to Advance Auto parts and let them look it up. I believe I got the same thing that came out. It worked just fine.

Then what came out was not Motorcraft because according to their website Advance does not sell Motorcraft flasher relays.

I went to autozone and did not even consider to look at the brand. Know you have me thinking!

Then what came out was not Motorcraft because according to their website Advance does not sell Motorcraft flasher relays.
I wouldn't expect Motorcraft Brand at Advance Auto Parts. I just laid it on the counter, told 'em what it was supposed to do, and the part they gave me works.
Dumb luck?
Don't worry. My 3/4 to 1/2 drive adapter busted when I tried to torque the axle nut to 203 ft-lbs, so the luck evens out in the end.:D

Back