Flashing 4wd lights

Stewe

Reaction score
City, State
Östersund, Jamtland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4.0 aut
Hi, Help wanted!!

I have searched but cannot find the exact issue.
there is a -95 Explorer. And here is the issue:

When i turn the ignition on the Shift Motor Relay clicks 6 times after a short pause there is another click, after a another pause the two 4x4 leds flashes 4 times, aprox 1-2 minutes pause then a another 6 led flashes. no more relay clicks.

The 4wdH works perfect but the 4x4 led does not iluminate when turning the knob to 4wd auto(just the 4 blink sequence).

The Shift Motor does not shift to low when turning the knob to 4wd low and no led illuminates(just the 4 blink sequence).

It is possible to run the Shift Motor if i use two cables in the connector.

If i disconnect the Shift Motor connector the Shift Motor Relay does not click for 6 times and the leds does not flash, the leds never illuminates eighter.

If i rotate the Shift Motor by using 12v in the connector and then plug the connector everything works perfect(sometimes) until i turn the 4wd knob to 4wd low.

I think there is something wrong in the blue capsulated plastic switch that are attached to the Shift Motor, agree?

Any other suggestions, should i try to replace the switch or is it possible troubleshoot it or something else in a another way?

Please Help.
//Stefan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi again,

More tests:
If i, by using 12v from the battery, forces the shift motor all the way by putting positive on the yellow and neg on the orange wiring and then switch the wires and rewerse it a little little bit, then it works, sometimes, i guess it has to stop on the exact spot ;)

It works until i turn the knob to low then the error is back.

Is there anyway to troubleshoot the swith or do i have to replace it or the whole shift motor?

Stewe

Hi again,

Bad news, I screwed all together again and tried it on the road.
It was stuck in low gear :( 1:st gear on 1 on the the stick, 2 on 2 and god now what on D. 1:st When you start but if i put the stick on 2 i get 2 and when i put it back to d it still got 2 but if stopped and drove again i got 1. Confusing, but i think i am as well :eek:

Tomorrow I will try to "force" the motor back to high again(you know what I mean).
now it's saturday evening here and i think i'll grab some bears instead:confused:

Suggestions while I get drunk?:D

//Stewe

Hi again,

Isn't there anyone who has a picture from the inside of that blue plastic switch?

//Stewe

EEC IV Codes

Hi Again

I have check the error codes using instructions from this excelent website :)
What i found in koeo was 542, bad ground on fuel pump, that code is cleared and i don't think that was the problem eighter.

On koer i got 116, I don't think thats the problem eighter.
but i got 632: E4OD - Transmission Control Switch (TCS) should be cycled once between engine ID and Goose test

But i tried to cycle it directly after engine ID and before i hit the brake.
i tried to cycle it just after the light blink told me to open the throttle for goose test and always the same trouble code.

Do anyone now exactly when to cycle the Transmission Control swith?
Since that is the original issue it should be quite nice to manage to perform the test without that trouble code.

One thought was tha mayby the computer don't "see" that i cycle the swith, it sould be if there is any problems with the swith or the citcuits between.

Update:
I have tried again, after the test i hit tha throttle again; enetring balance test, i guess.
the engine starting to go rough for 6 times, i guess it shutting down each cylinder.

after that i got
(R)
ISC needs to learn (Let idle for 2 minutes, Erase memory and retest)

Transmission EPC circuit/solenoid failure - Transmissions

Erase memory? like unconnect one cable from battery for 30 minutes or what?

OK i'll try.

//Stewe

//Stewe

Back