• Register Today It's free!

flashing 4wd low and 4wd high!!

J1211c

Reaction score
City, State
Mass.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Baurer
does anyone know what this means.. i was driving on the highway and they started flashing. both flashed at the same time every two seconds then went off for acouple minutes then came back on flashing.

i pulled over. My 4wd high and 4wd low wouldnt enable (or atleast it didnt light up and i didnt her any thing connect in the front like i usually do)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It means the 4WD system has determined that something is wrong and has stored a trouble code. To know for sure what the problem is, the GEM module codes need to be read.

What 4WD system do you have?

i have awd, 4wd and 4wd low.. Think its ok to drive? i am suppose to drive about 100 miles tomorrow. I did some research and i think it might be the shift motor on the transfer case. Any ideas?

I started having this same problem this morning. Truck is a 1996 Explorer with the electronic 4wd. I flipped it into 4wd Hi this morning, and it worked fine for 10 or 15 minutes, when both 4wd lights started flashing. Turned truck off/on and it went into 4wd hi like it's supposed to, and then while running on the road about 50 mph, they started flashing again.

Would appreciate any help/knowledge that anyone has.

PS: this has been the coldest morning of the winter so far, (about 10 degrees here), and that may be part of the problem. It worked fine a couple of weeks ago, as I have a habit of testing it every few weeks.

I started having this same problem this morning. Truck is a 1996 Explorer with the electronic 4wd. I flipped it into 4wd Hi this morning, and it worked fine for 10 or 15 minutes, when both 4wd lights started flashing. Turned truck off/on and it went into 4wd hi like it's supposed to, and then while running on the road about 50 mph, they started flashing again.

Would appreciate any help/knowledge that anyone has.

PS: this has been the coldest morning of the winter so far, (about 10 degrees here), and that may be part of the problem. It worked fine a couple of weeks ago, as I have a habit of testing it every few weeks.

Sounds like something is amiss in the 4WD system. You can guess at a bad speed sensor or whatnot but you need a scantool that is capable of reading your GEM body codes. Either take it to a shop or try OBD-2.com (PWM + ISO) combo. I'm pretty sure that tool will do it.

From his site:

Ford body and chassis enhanced trouble code request and clear, most models require ISO protocol.

My explorer did that once, I called the dealer where they told me to engage it into 4wd high then 4wd low but slowly so it clicks in then back into to auto 4wd or awd and reststart the truck. Since Ive done that it hasnt had a problem again. They said it could have just been that it was cold or something.

Worth a shot, I've had intermittant issues with this system. There were also other posts on the board about this issue. If it does not go away the next thing to do is to wiggle the connectors on the GEM module behind the dash, I was told that these have issues. Then of course there is a scan tool.

I had a few problems with this with my 98 explorer, seemed to happen about once or twice a year. Same problems as you described, all I did was disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to reset the system, and that seemed to clear whatever up whatever caused the fault.

This happened to me once over the summer. I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery for 20min...haven't had an issue since then :thumbsup:

Flashing 4wd Light

I bought a 98 Mountaineer this past July with this same symptom. I took the 4wd shift motor, located on the back of the transfer case, off and cleaned the mode switch contacts. That solved the problem for me.

Back