Flashing O/D followed by Servcie Engine Soon light then NO Warning lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flashing O/D followed by Servcie Engine Soon light then NO Warning lights

BaseballFan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer (Ltd)
Flashing O/D light and Service Engine Soon (SES) lights came on for a day while making a 750 mile trip.

Lights came on (Flashing O/D first thern SES) about 3hrs into trip. Turned car off for a 1/2hr stop at transmission shop. Mechanic downloaded codes but couldn't interpret. He thought solenoid might need replacing. Upon restarting car, SES light came on but not flashing O/D light. About 1/2hr of driving, O/D flashing started again. Traveled for an additional 1/2hr and then stopped car again for another half hour (and also refueled with 89 octane gas instead of usual 87 octane). Restarted car , SES light came on but not flashing O/D light. Drove another 4 hours before stopping trip for the day (no O/D flashing during this time). Next day started up car (SES light came on but no flashing O/D) and drove another 6 hours (with no flashing O/D and Refueled with 89 octane) before reaching destination. Next day, upon starting car, NO lights came on and have been doing local town driving for about 5 days thus far with NO warning lights coming on. I've got to believe something isn't right and hoping that I can make the return 750 mile trip home to investigate further but any thoughts as to what might be going on and suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You "might" have got a bad tank of gas. Engine shuddering and TPS changes "could" have set off transmission codes. If you were using the cruise control and the engine was studdering, this may have happened???
I have had a similar issue with one of our cars. I knew it was a tank of bad gas though because the car was perfect before that stupid fill up on the interstate in Illinios--as soon as that gas was burned up and a new tank pumped, the engine picked back up and check engine light went out on it's own.

Just a hunch but I like to try the optimistic approach on transmissions--lol

Get and post the actual codes being triggered.

So I was able to get a download of the codes from the vehicle (compliments of Auto Zone) and interestingly only one code existed.

Code PO755 (shift solenoid 2 circuit condition). ECM energized solenoid and detected an open or shorted condition. Probable cause - Open or shorted solenoid OR Open or shorted circuit condition.

Any thoughts? (What does this all mean? How serious? Cost Estimate? Can any auto facility handle this vs must be done by transmission shop or dealership?).

Side Note: made the 750 mile return trip open with no warning lights being activated.

Sounds like the solenoid block needs replaced. $275 from a Ford dealer like Tasca for the part. It is a little bit of work to do, but should not be more than two hours of labor.

Check the ohms on the solenoid first before you replace it. Explorers are known for the od servo to go bad. There is an aftermarket servo kit that is reasonably priced and I had installed the kit in my explorer. The transmission shifts like new again. The total cost of repair was about 200.00 and my labor. The dealer wanted over 3000.00 to fix. I saved 2800.00 and I counldn't be any happier..

Best of luck
bizzs

I believe you'll find that code is the solenoid block. If the tranny didn't slip or not shift into OD, then I don't think it is the OD servo.
Did the car ever hesitate when backing up? How about when you shifted from rev to D, did it ever hesitate and then go into gear?

D

Check the ohms on the solenoid first before you replace it. Explorers are known for the od servo to go bad. There is an aftermarket servo kit that is reasonably priced and I had installed the kit in my explorer. The transmission shifts like new again. The total cost of repair was about 200.00 and my labor. The dealer wanted over 3000.00 to fix. I saved 2800.00 and I counldn't be any happier..

Best of luck
bizzs

Many times a failing solenoid block will pass the resistance checks.

I had the same problem, except with the 3rd solenoid. I'd say try to replace the solenoid before the transmission because its a difference of over 2 grand. This problem was an evolving one for me that took about 2 years before the transmission finally started slipping on me.

I am having a problem with the OD light flashing and a friend of the family who is a ford tech told me he thinks its the solenoid block. I found this link in another post on this forum, you may want to get it from here.

http://www.800700tran.com/prod.itml/icOid/159

You absolutely do not want to replace it with a used part. The solenoid blocks are a known weakness, and buying used is a huge gamble. It is well worth the extra money to buy a new one that is of the latest revision.

Back