Flashing O/D light after tranny rebuild done myself. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flashing O/D light after tranny rebuild done myself.

redraven0

Reaction score
City, State
Perth, Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Hey all, I've been lurking this forum for a couple of months and have found many threads immensly helpful, but I can't find any thread with the same problem as me and was wondering if you could possibly shead some light on my problem.

Car: 1998 Ford Explorer, 4.0L SOHC Engine, 5r55e transmission. 100,000 Miles

Story: A little while ago when driving along a freeway my tranny blew. The car got towed back to my home and I set about taking the tranny apart to see what was wrong. I eventually found out that the torque converter had blown up (shards of metal everywhere from it) and that the valve body gasket had blown.

Consequently I bought a rebuilt torque converter and dismantled the tranny to get all the shards of metal out of it, while doing this I replaced the bands, put new seals on the servos and put new friction and metal plates in the clutches and replaced all the gaskets.

After putting the tranny back together and placing it back in the car I made a few small errors. 1) I made a 1mm tear in the valve body gasket, I have ordered a new one which is on its way. 2) I put too much tranny fluid back in the tranny (about 1.5L) which I removed after figuring out my mistake after 12 miles of driving.

Since then I have driven 180 miles with the car. And while driving the O/D light flashes, it only flashes after either going on the freeway at around 60 MPH or after around 30 mins of city driving. Also on the odd occasion sometimes while accelerating from a stand still I have the 2/3 shift flare issue.

When I checked the tranny fluid level I have noticed that the colour of the fluid is a reddy brown instead of the clean red it was originally. And apart from the odd shift flare issue the car seems to be driving very well.

I was wondering what you guys would think the problem could be, possibly the bands are on too tight? Might be a reason for the browny red tranny fluid, or the valve body gasket has already properly blown? I figured it would go prematurely but I didn't think these are the symptoms for a blown gasket, or that it would go this early. Or do I probably need a new (rebuilt) valve body?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dark fluid is usually caused by slipping and burning clutches or bands. A cracked gasket should have never been used. Did you clean the transcooler and lines, if not junk probably got in the trans, another rebuild may be the only cure.

Ok, thanks so much for the advice for the advice, i'll check the band tension later today. I spent quite a while with a air compressor cleaning out the transcooler and lines before reinstalling the tranny, so I don't think that will be an issue.

I know I shouldn't have used the gasket with the minor tear, I ordered another one straight away but where I live (Perth, Australia) it takes weeks for stuff to arrive from the USA so I'll put it in when it arrives.

What would be a way to fix slipping and burning clutches?

Thanks

I've redone the band tensions and took the car for another test drive. I stayed on the freeway for about 15 mins before the O/D light began flashing, which is an improvement.

Running out of ideas of what could be causing it :S.

Any suggestions?

The gasket has arrived, I'm collecting it from the post office tomorrow morning and will install it during the day.

Thanks

I am having the same issue after overhauling my 5r55e on my 98 let me know if u find the fix. thanks

Sure I'll let you know how it goes, haven't had much time lately so will probably do it either tonight or tomorrow. Will explain process and results after, might put up some photos too if I can get my hands on a camera.

So today I replaced the valve body gaskets, readjusted the band tensions and flushed the tranny and took it for a test drive, it drives really well with smooth gear changes, BUT after about 12 miles the flashing o/d light comes back on. The light seems to come on when I am going ~60 miles/hr.

Anyone have any suggestions, I'm running out of ideas now.

Raven, if I understanding correctly, you did gaskets only on the VB. What code are you getting on the scanner? You really need that code. I recommend replacing the valve body, but I have no idea what that would involve in your country. Also I would recommend a drain plug install, and an in-line magnetic filter down steam of the coolers.

So I went to a Ford dealership and got the codes.

Its P0741.

The car is driving very well, nothing out of the ordinary. The O/D light begins flashing around 20km into driving or when I go over 100km/hr. I still don't feel any noticeable change in performance when the light is flashing.

When I turn off the car and leave it for a while then drive it again the light flashes for 1 or so km then turns itself off, only to begin flashing later in the drive.

Not sure what the next step is from here, any suggestions?

Thanks

Raven, that was what I suspected, P0741. I can't seem to link it from my phone, but ddo a search in the transmission sub forum for my thread "Trial By Fire". That contains a little info abouut that code, and what I did to resolve it. Best wishes.

i ordered a valve body for mine it should be here this week so I'll let you know if i fixes mine

Awesome thanks for that drdoom! Your Trial by Fire thread is very informative, if I ever have to rebuild my tranny again I think I'll put in a superior shift kit too. Do you still find it to be beneficial?

I ordered a rebuilt valve body from ebay last night, but it will take a few weeks to get here (Australia post is slooooooww).

In the mean time it looks like I'll be cycling a lot!

Will update this thread when it arrives! :D

I put my vb in on Friday and it didn't do a dam thing :/ I was looking through my ATSG book on the 5r55e and for code p0741 its saying something about flashing TCIL like the vehicle needs a software up date..any thoughts?

Corvander, if I understand it correctly that means the computer detects the fault, and flashes the TCIL transmission control indicator lamp, which is the od off light on the dash. It flashes so you know it has a serious problem, and has a trouble code stored in the computer.

makes sense.. well it drives fine, i even towed a car 35 miles no problems..I'm not tearing the box back out so i'll drive it till it blows

Hey all, sorry for the lack of communication. I've been interstate for the last couple of weeks.

I have installed a new valve body and am still getting a flashing light once the car has driven for ~30km. Not sure where to go from here :S

Any update on this? What fixed the issue?

Back