• Register Today It's free!

Flashing O/D light

Ronjm

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney NEW SOUTH WALES
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 1997 4L SOHC
Hi everyone well I've been having this strange clunk under my 97 Explorer v6 sohc it only happens when I put my foot on the gas but now I have o/d light flashing. What could it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The OD light flashing means you are having a fault with the transmission. You’ll need to get the codes pulled to have a good idea what it is.

Also, it's in limp mode, and when in limp mode, it allows you to drive it about 50 miles or so, to get it into a shop for a proper diagnose. It changes the way the trans operates, and you will feel it.

Sometimes if the trans gets too warm, it will trigger this. Check the fluid for low or burnt condition. Add or change accordingly.

If in a pinch, and stuck in the middle of nowhere, you can reset this by disconnecting the battery for about 15 mins (drain the modules memory), and it should clear the code, and allow you to drive it normally.

If the issue is severe, the OD light will start flashing again, and this means trans work is most likely in your future.

Well got in this morning to go to work and no o/d light and changing ok but I still have the clunk under acceleration it sounds like something is catching on the CATS in the middle of truck but nothing is loose.

It’ll probably come back. I’d still get the code.

Is it 4x4 or RWD? How many miles? Has the relationship between engine RPMs and indicated speed changed from it's norm? Has the torque converter ever been replaced? If 4x4 has the transfer case ever been replaced? Get it on a good scanner ASAP.

It's 4x4 no torque con never been replaced nor transfer case. I did notice the previous owner removed shift motor and front drive shaft. Would this cause they bad clunk I have.

You likely need a new transfer case. I can see no other reason to remove the shaft. Removing the shift motor is bizarre as it doesn’t shift anything unless you are moving to low.

Back