• Register Today It's free!

Flashing OD light

samadams

Reaction score
City, State
Fallston, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
I have a ’98 Mtr, 5.0, AWD, with 114K – never trailered. No transmission problems until now. Recently, on one occasion, the OD light started flashing while driving. The tranny would not shift into 4th. Check engine light did not come on. I’ve driven less than 50 miles since then without the OD light flashing with no problem shifting into 4th. The transmission fluid and filter were changed in June 2006 at 101K. Refilled with 11 qts. Motor Craft Mercon V ATF. Converter and pan were drained. Pan had fine particles (looked like dark brown mud) around magnet and pan bottom.

I’ve read a number of posts on this topic. My next step would be to go to a transmission shop, explain what happened, ask them to check for any codes, and go from there. My question is: would codes have been set without the check engine light coming on? Any particular questions I should ask the shop?

While this is my first post, this forum has helped me diagnose and repair other problems. Thanks to those members who share their experience and knowledge.

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My question is: would codes have been set without the check engine light coming on?
Engine fault codes turn on the CEL. Transmission specific codes will turn on the flashing O/D light.

I understand now. Since the O/D light was flashing, one or more transmission codes should have been set. I'll post as soon as I have them read.

Thanks,
Jim

Sam Adams, I am in Forest Hill, (hello neighbor) and I have very similar issues with my 2000 explorer. Just starting the process to fix it. see post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205818
Let me know what you learn and I will do the same. Do you have any ideas for a reputable trans shop here locally? Where are you getting the codes checked?
email me at mackg (AT) goodweb.org

Hey, guy sounds like the OD band has broken off, you might want to purchase a new. Or the OD servo is leaking or broken (you can check this with out pulling the tranny off, probably the exhaust pipes).
*Tip on servos use paint can opener to remove the retaining ring.
ALSO IT CAN BE (Planet Gear) must take off the Tranny
I was having a problem with my ST2001 Tranny back in Dec.2007 had to remove it myself and rebuild the whole thing (it was a nice experience). By the way I was a newbie to this Tranny rebuild stuff, yet my knowledge has expanded, thanks to this forum and other research I have done, by the way my ST is runny smooth and working perfectly.

Hey I also found out about a place down at Arizona that sells tranny (all types) around $950 (rebuild of course) plus the core fees (450). But you’ll get your money back once you return your tranny. Sounds like a deal!!!

Here are some prices:
T-Converter $95
Oil Filter $6
Gasket and seal $65 (all of them)
Servos ($12 Inter-Mid or $8 Overdrive)
Bands $18 Originals $9 Generic
Planet gear $85 (I had to change this one)
Shift Solenoids (al l4) are $27 each
Torque Converter Solenoids @ $55
EPC solenoid $94
V-body gaskets $4 each (u need two)
Clutch plates $4 each you need 14 (3 OD, 5 Inter-Mid, 6 Forward)
Tran-oil $2.97 @ Walmart
Vaseline $2

Back