flat black body paint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

flat black body paint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah dude, after seeing rob & big, I need to paint it flat black.

^^^ I will also be attending, flat black trim on my black ex would look sweet!

Trim? I was thinking about having a body shop do the whole thing lol.

painting flat black on larger surfaces can be a bit tricky. If you have any experience in prepping anything for paint you should be alright. Go all out if you want it to look great and be sure to wet sand between coats.

I want some info too. I would love a "rat rod" or "hot rod" flat black truck with black rims and trim. Anyone black out their explorers? Any tips?

murdered out explorer haha

hell, if you want flat black, why not just rattle can it with the walmart cans? i know it's a bunch of work, but it's cheap, and it'll give you the effect you want.

or primer black?

lots of ways to get it to look how you want and save money at the same time.

Yeah but it will come out looking like ass and not professional at all.

It can LOOK professional if you know what you're doing....just dont paint in the rain!! hahaha

Yeah I plan on rattle canning my trim. I used "Krylon Fusion" to paint my grill insert and it came out pretty sweet, looks factory and i'm no expert painter. Id hope to do it on a weekend so i'm not driving around with a naked explorer for too long.

murdered out explorer haha

Do work SON!! LOL, love that show:p:

I'm doin a flat paint job on my Ranger right now but it's a dark grey color from Eastwood products called "Spray Gray". Supposed to be for painting parts that need a cast iron finish. It comes in spray cans or quarts which is perfect for what i'm doing. I bought a few quarts to shoot with a cup gun but when I scratch it up off roading, I can hit with a spray can.

Guinea Pig

The Wx around here has been crappy lately, lots of rain, but when it dries out I'll hit the bumpers with some primer & flat black spray paint just to see if it's acceptable. I'll post before & after pics.

I don't need anything fancy, I just don't want the rust to show. This is a 3rd vehicle used for whatever.

Here are a few flat black cars I saw at SEMA in '07. Not sure of the procedure on the paint, but I think it will need a clear over the top or at least a little bit of gloss. There is a flat black thread going on Pirate4x4.com right now as well, if you want to make it look decent at all, you will need to add something besides flat Krylon.

I'm sure Froader will chime in as he's the expert on flat black(and flat billin).

Attachments

• SEMA 077med.jpg
    SEMA 077med.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 750
  • SEMA 031med.jpg
    SEMA 031med.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 842
  • SEMA 021med.jpg
    SEMA 021med.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 668

Do work SON!! LOL, love that show:p:

I'm doin a flat paint job on my Ranger right now but it's a dark grey color from Eastwood products called "Spray Gray".

Haha i was waiting for someone to get that. Sounds like a cool project u got goin

The kind of black dannyboy posted is the exact look I would want, I think it looks awesome, so brutal and industrial but well done. No one has done this yet to an X?

The kind of black dannyboy posted is the exact look I would want, I think it looks awesome, so brutal and industrial but well done. No one has done this yet to an X?

FatCat on here did his Ex in flat black, rolled it on I believe. Those cars that are professionally done use more of a satin finish so it has more of a sheen which is also easier to wash. You'll find dirt likes to stick to the flat black and won't retain that crisp look even after washing it.
I finished my Ranger today and it turned out pretty good. The hood and roof didn't come out as even as i'd like since this paint I have dries super quick. It was hard to keep a wet edge spraying such large panels. I'll post up pics once I get the truck back together.

a buddy of mine wants me to do his 91 firebird formula for him. he also wants flat black (trying to talk the guy outta it, but having no luck). he went to one of the paint supply places today, and they told him hot hues (hope it's spelt right) makes that. they say you don't need any top coat, just put it on like normal paint, and dirt wont stick to it like if you were to do primer, and it wont stain. hope this helps some of you guys.

The new lexus IS F with a body kit and painted flat black at the New York International Auto Show this year:

DSC_0306.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any suggections for prepping it to paint?

Back