Flat Black Explorer (Murdered, Blacked out) Pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flat Black Explorer (Murdered, Blacked out) Pics

shapeimage_6.jpg

shapeimage_4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wrapped a Nissan GTR he had the rear bumper repainted due to a color mismatch from the factory done through the local dealership. I did not question it as the window sticker was still on the car and delivered to me. So I wrapped it. About a month later he got rear-ended by a lady in a parking lot nothing serious but the vinyl ripped and peeled a little. he brought it back to me to rewrap the bumper off came the second coat of paint with the vinyl.

Maybe a quick scuff and shoot on the bumper...probably not cured since it was just painted too. Is it usually a bumper that peels?
I wonder if it has something to do with a flex agent?

Cant say I have seen an Explorer in matte before. I like it, but if not done right it looks downright bad. Been to some car shows over the summer, matte seemed to be the "new" old thing.
not8-love that look you have as well.
Ridge, $2850 to protect the paint, that lady must have money to burn....
Wraps are a great idea for advertising or graphics. And like you said, you get tired of it, take it off. As far as wrapping a whole car to change the paint color etc, seems wrong to me but maybe I have never seen a decent job before.

We have done a lot of wraps over the past 4 years and I would say 95% are all business only a few things come through that are personal and the one thing most people do not think about is no matter what color the car does not make any of the material or labor cost less unless you do not wrap everything which we have seen more of a trend to that lately. She was from naples Florida so money was not a real problem and I am sure she wrote it off anyway. Wraps are great and serve a purpose but unless its for business I really don't see the point.

You can get a real nice paint job for 2-3k and much less likely to wear down like vinyl over time. One thing a lot of people lose site of is if you have specific images and such the wraps do great however it is a giant piece of vinyl with adhesive on it. I have been certified as a installer by 3M, Fellers and a few others so I am comfortable in my abilities however the install is only part of it if you go cheap on material it will fail and look like crap.

I have also seen paint come off back doors of Ford and chevy vans from previous installs. So tough to say, but when the vinyl sticks it sticks well also some installers use a product by 3M called Primer94 it is a tape primer and makes the adhesive that much more aggressive normally causing a lot of headaches if you need to cleanup after removal.

I was actually kind of looking into this and one idea is to use chalkboard paint:D

jeepsruleblack.jpg

that jeep is beautiful

The duco is. Looks great.

Ridge-appreciate the info on wraps, really had no idea about it or how it was done. Is this the same type of thing that is used for new car "racing stripes" etc like on the new Camaro's?
Stic-O I really dig the color of the jeep, the chalk like writing not so much....

And maybe it is age, but why is a monochromatic black color theme called "murdered out"?

Well yes most things you see on cars anymore are vinyl you can even look around and buy the stripes off ebay. I recently installed a Cooper Works edition direct from mini to a clients car. He got ripped off and only used about half of what came with the kit but yeah pin striping, racing or rally stripes, I have even done OE Honda CBR replication for a client had to pay for licensing but it came out great.

Also monochromatic or all blacked out refers to murdered out.

I second the Jeep what a great Idea I have a wall in my daughter's room done in that looks cool on the jeep
However looking closely at the Jeep it is most likely photo-shopped
The wording on the hinges give it away.

It is possible to wrap a vehicle with the wording in place but you would still get a little distortion.

I get the monochromatic/blacked out thing is also known as "murdered out" I just dont get the term "murdered out"....

Kinda like what ridgeline said with the wrap pulling "post-factory" paint off it can do it with some factory finishes too.

Back