Flat Floor Area when Seats are Down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flat Floor Area when Seats are Down

jrwalkerpa1

Reaction score
Hello All,
Two quick questions about the 2011 Explorer...

1) When both the second and third row seats are folded down, is the "floor" in the back flat?

2) What is the size of the area behind the front seats when both the second and third rows are folded down?

My reason for asking is that I want to see if it's possible to put a double air mattress back there for impromptu overnight sleeping before fishing trips and such.

Thanks!

I have the captains chairs in the middle row with no console, so there is a hole between those seats. Otherwise, with the seats folded, I would call it a flat "floor". The narrowest point is about 41" across. With the front seats still upright, it is about 75" long. Maybe that helps you.

Thanks...Yes, that is helpful! So it sounds like there is enough room for one person to put an air mattress back there (assumming no taller than 6'). But, it would be too narrow for two people unless they were VERY cozy:)

I have a Limited with the standard middle row seats and I have slept in the back on an air mattress. I'm 6' 2" and was very comfortable. The back is perfectly flat, unlike my previous Pilot. I have an Eddie Bauer mattress that rolls up very nicely into a self-contained carrying case. It has a built in pump that uses four D cells. I bought the mattress last year at Target. I moved the front seats forward and I was all the way forward with a little (maybe 1" - 2") room to spare. It was great that the outlets stay on when the Ex is shut off so I could charge my cell phone. My only complaint is that the interior lights can't be switched on after the first 10 or 15 minutes. With the power rear lift gate I could get out easily using the remote control. Hope this helps.

Back