Flatbed Trailer upgrades.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flatbed Trailer upgrades..

Some of you may know, I bought a flatbed trailer a few months ago.

• 16 ft dovetail.
  • 3500# axles
  • Brakes on both axles

20220515_182521.jpg

I have been doing upgrades to it recently.

• Swapped out all lights to LED's
  • Replaced and upgraded the tires to a larger tire. (225 vs 205)
  • New Spare, and moved to underneath the tongue with a Explorer spare tire winch.😉
  • New jack, with socket adapter for drill.
  • Smittybuilt 9500# winch.
  • HF Trailer tongue box for tie down storage.
  • Lighting for inside box and to light deck.
  • Battery mounted in box and switch box to control everything.
  • 10 watt solar panel to keep everything charged all the time. (Game Changer!)

20220626_183516.jpg

20220717_002043.jpg

20220717_001808.jpg

First test run, with everything, helping my dad move. Worked awesome, and the winch made everything super easy.

20220702_191040.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love it!
Something to consider, I put my 5500# winch inside the box along w the battery and controller it really keeps the winch and wiring nice for years and years plus theft proof
Also I removed most of the cable, only need 30’ or so for loading, this way it doesn’t bind up on itself because when loading vehicles the cable likes to spool all the way to one side
Added 4 large d rings at the corners
I keep two really short straps for the front frame rails, makes tie down super quick

The solar panel is the best upgrade keeps the battery fresh! I have those on my trailers too

436CBE82-7130-4EF4-B7D1-5C10CA27204F.jpeg

7512DC4D-DE3F-48F5-8001-F1D2F5D72429.jpeg

F92C82D6-29EC-43B9-B0AE-7F5FBB94B0B0.jpeg

C7B4DDA6-DFE2-478A-900D-4B6D46B94F65.jpeg

This is my 4th car hauler and the one I am keeping forever, found it on cl in Littleton for $800 about 8 years ago now. It has surge brakes not electric so I can use any vehicles to pull it, it has metal deck which is wicked cool because I dismantle the rear axles on the trailer before crushing (better for floor jack and fluid cleanup) this sucker has probably hauled 100 ranger based vehicles for me, having the right trailer is super important around here. Your new one is super nice! Take care of that wood!!

I am stealing the drill adapter idea 💡 thank you!!

Who’s samurai???

I originally planned to put the winch in the box, but was going to take up a lot of room. It's made to go outside, so not going to worry about. Besides I got it super cheap through work. I can always put a cover on it.

Nobody is stealing it. There is a certain sequence to unbolting it, which makes it like a puzzle. If they figure it out, they can have the prize.

Here's a link to the jack.

Lippert 733926 Quick Drop Tongue Jack for A-Frame Travel, Cargo, and Utility Trailers or 5th Wheel RVs, Black,2000lb

Samurai is my dad's and is for sale. Also have a '85 4x4 Ranger and @tdavis old Samurai for sale . PM if your interested in any of it.

T Davis old Sami!!!?!? Wow I followed him around t have for a full day that little sucker went places
My bii would have ended up on its lid. We
Love sami up here far superior to utv
My
Polaris machines just do not hold up to the day to day abuse of this road and lifestyle they are
Made for play not for real work and commuting. Samurai has live axles a real tmcase, wipers cab and heater…. Perfect!
Neighbor has one on tracks ;) I built the brackets

I’ll check w my neighbor he is in the market for another one, then send a pm

Samurai's around here have become horribly expensive.. Sorry, I made a mistake selling my last Samurai. Not going to do it again; parts and California smog just make it a hard vehicle to own anymore..

I originally planned to put the winch in the box, but was going to take up a lot of room. It's made to go outside, so not going to worry about.

I just rebuilt the exposed Ramsey winch on my trailer. After 20+ years of baking in the AZ sun the grease had solidified. I just cleaned it, greased it and put it back in service. I also added a new control cable receptacle. That was the only new part. Sounds like a new winch now.

Back