Flex-A-Lite Black Magic into a 2nd gen 5.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flex-A-Lite Black Magic into a 2nd gen 5.0

It's disheartening to find out an electric fan has no major impact on our 5.0 Explorers... I figured that would be one thing I could try to get my Explorer up to at least 14MPG from an average 12MPG.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pictures

I can not see the pictures, just a little red x
i right click and choose show picture and nothing happens.
Is anyone else having this problem or is it me?
I did recently "upgrade" to Internet Explorer 8.

The pictures are still here, you must need a change in your settings with the browser.

It's disheartening to find out an electric fan has no major impact on our 5.0 Explorers... I figured that would be one thing I could try to get my Explorer up to at least 14MPG from an average 12MPG.

I average about 16 mpg with mine...better on the highway. I have a 4406 and it is well tuned with Torque Monsters, Flowmaster, etc. I thought I would see more improvement than I did...but the the response and smoothness is so worth it I don't care. The 4.0 OHV in my 95 saw at least 1 mpg.

Any updates, all still great? I just ordered the 188 myself, our weather should get better soon.

Absolutely flawless. I am so happy with the way it's worked out. Even in our heat during the summer, it never came close to overheating. Air on, stop and go, 115 degrees. I am really pleased with the Spal controller. Once you get one in your hands, you'll see why. Just make sure you get the updated one. The early one had some programming problems. Those should be gone by now though.

By the way, Derale said they were going to have an Explorer specific fan by SEMA last year. Might be worth a call. They screwed up their website so bad you can't find anything on it.

I'll check with Derale in case they do have something special.

BTW, I ordered the 188 fan after 6pm two days ago, and had it delivered at 1pm the next day. Summit is quick, and the fan sets within 2" of each edge, I have a new radiator in box to work with.

How did yours turn out Don?

what size pusher fan was used for the a/c condenser?

I used an actual Ford fan from a later model Explorer. I don't have the exact year. I had to spend a few minutes to bolt it in and build a mount, but it didn't take much at all. I mounted it on the driver's side...opposite the trans cooler.

You know though, I'm not sure of the benefit. With the engine driven fan, I believe there is a benefit around town. But when I replaced the engine driven fan with a good electric set up, that benefit was greatly reduced. If I didn't already have it, I wouldn't add it.

Back