• Register Today It's free!

Flex hose blowout

Grovebaby

Reaction score
City, State
Suffield, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
Lost the passenger side front brake flex hose. Does this mean that air got into the master cylinder? Brake warning light and "rear antilock" light came on. I didn't know it had antilock. 91 xlt 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the line was disconnected long enough for you to run out of brake fluid then Yes, you problably got air in the master cyliner (and possibly the ABS block)..

the 91/92 had rear abs..

BTW.. If you haven't found a good price on a replacment hose, take whats left your your hose (you need both ends) to a speed shop and have them give you an earles brand hose with fittings (earles is holley).. it will be a braided line and the speed shop should have the ends.. (I'd change both fronts at the same time).

~Mark

For a stock application just get rubber hoses. Do replace both sides when one has issues.

You may be able to bleed it normally, depending on how much air got back to the ABS and master cylinder. Good luck,

I just took a look and it still had about 25% of the reservour full of fluid, so maybe I'm ok. I filled it and ofcourse spilled some. I know it is very corrosive, is there anything that rinses it good? it didn't get on any paint just what's under the master cylinder.

Make sure you soak the bleeder screws and the fitting where the flex line attaches with PbBlaster or Wd40.

Back